Trail from FW to Wilderness

anBn
Rode by on the bus and there is a path being worked on. If I go back that way Ill snap a pic

🤞🤞🤞🤞 I hope it’s coming back!! Maybe the DVC cabins gave them the push.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. More dining options and 'upscale' dining at WL. And I daresay the DVC crowd would appreciate an easier way to get to WL than the bus or driving their own car, like say a golf cart or bicycles. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?

I'm fine with 'The Hoop' and the new TE 'grab n go', but a table service eatery at FtW would still be nice.

. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?
Back in the early day of GC's at the Fort you could take it to the Lodge and park it in the circle at the end of the path. There were no charging provisions so numerous dead carts had to be retrieved by CM's along with the ones that Lodge guests failed to return. Also some decided that walking from the path to the Lodge was too far so they then drove up further. There was also some racing occurring along the path. So what happened, signs soon went up and carts were no longer allowed to be taken over.

Back in the early day of GC's at the Fort you could take it to the Lodge and park it in the circle at the end of the path. There were no charging provisions so numerous dead carts had to be retrieved by CM's along with the ones that Lodge guests failed to return. Also some decided that walking from the path to the Lodge was too far so they then drove up further. There was also some racing occurring along the path. So what happened, signs soon went up and carts were no longer allowed to be taken over.

And that, I suppose, is another reason we can't have nice things, right?

I wonder, what with wanting to make DVC cabins 'attractive', if they'll widen the path and perhaps put in painted lanes, speed bumps, and bollards. Maybe a traffic light or two. Put a security 'cruiser GC' with a radar gun in the bushes. How 'bout a sniper tower? lol

I live near a large retirement community that encourages GC use and they've pretty much had to do all of that. Well, maybe not the sniper tower. But I bet they're thinking of it. "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" has nothing on some of the residents!!

Last edited:
Yup @StormyCA I live in an over 55 community where everybody has a GC. Stop signs apparently are only for cars. It's nothing to have 2 or 3 golf carts stopped together blocking the road. And no, I don't live in the villages. LOL

The place near us is part of a well known 'rather upscale' retirement community company, initials 'SC'. There are quite a few of them in the Southwest. I'm not sure if that company has 'infiltrated' FLA yet lol. It doesn't allow on street or driveway parking, your cars must be in your garage so when you drive through it at times it's actually kinda creepy and 'deserted' looking. And if there are people out front they give you the hairy eyeball as you pass, I assume since they don't recognize the car.

The one near us was able to (pay off the city council for) and build a dedicated GC path out of the development and into a nearby shopping center. Luckily the city required a small barrier between the GC and the 'car lanes'. But, yep, seems that 'golf carts are counted as pedestrians and have the right of way'. Yes, I was told that when a GC didn't stop at a 4 way intersection.🤷🏼‍♀️

The Villages seems to make the news a lot, usually with a 'Children of the Corn' vibe lol.

My development is an RV community. Everybody has, or started out with a motorhome. All the properties have an attached RV garage, RV port, or pad. It's not a problem until spring or fall when people are coming or going and the roads are shared by 45' Class A's pulling cars and oblivious folks puttering down the middle of the road in their GCs.

My development is an RV community. Everybody has, or started out with a motorhome. All the properties have an attached RV garage, RV port, or pad. It's not a problem until spring or fall when people are coming or going and the roads are shared by 45' Class A's pulling cars and oblivious folks puttering down the middle of the road in their GCs.

Oh I've seen a few of those advertised. I think it's a pretty good deal, especially if they have good security on the empty homes when residents are off on long trips.

We haven't 'downsized' yet (we have country acreage & an old farmhouse, far too big at this stage) but that's one of our thoughts on townhome vs 'stand alone' small house.

But I tell ya, deciding on the right housing choice for your 'golden years' is a huge decision with lots to consider.

Too bad we can't get WDW to build a 'retirement Ft W', lol.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. More dining options and 'upscale' dining at WL. And I daresay the DVC crowd would appreciate an easier way to get to WL than the bus or driving their own car, like say a golf cart or bicycles. Were golf carts ever allowed on the 'old' trail?

I'm fine with 'The Hoop' and the new TE 'grab n go', but a table service eatery at FtW would still be nice.
We ate at the new TE a few times in February, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the food. The lodge has a similar setup and the food is presented better and there are more choices.

Are we believing yet?

Oh I believe there is work being done.

I also have always believed that the trail will eventually reopen before I die.

But I don't yet know WHAT to believe about WHEN.

On my January 2024 visit to the Fort for the Celebration Half Marathon, I posted pictures from the (moving) bus of utility locating flags that had been put out over the old trail indicating that some activity would soon occur ("Call Before You Dig" - [or scrape for paving]). Thus it's no surprise that, 2-3 months later, something is happening.

Start at post #165.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-2024-visit-to-fort-wilderness.3937956/page-9

As to when, I posted the contents of a brief encounter I had with the General Manager for Fort Wilderness (the guy whose welcome letter hangs outside all the comfort stations) during Halloween 2022 Trick-or-Treating when he was in a golf cart stuck in "traffic" in front of my site in loop 300 where we were handing out candy.

So I asked him THE question on EVERYONE'S mind. @Disneypeach would have thought less of me, I know, if I had the chance but DIDN'T ask the question. She was there that Halloween too.

Read post #128 and #131.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/october-trip-reports-😊.3892813/page-7#post-64399924

So even though they may be stealthily getting ready to pave the trail (just as they stealthily built the parking lot across from the new TCD for R**********), they WON'T open it up to use until the new resort is built/finished behind Pioneer Hall. With all the construction materials and machines/people necessary to finish that project, the liability lawyers aren't going to let joggers, walkers, and bikers on the trail with that equipment so close by so frequently. Heck now the road past loop 2000 is blocked off due to the DVC cabin replacement and the road they cut back to the STOL storage side lot for R********** will still be needed until ALL construction is done behind Pioneer Hall.

Whenever that is. :hourglass

So I've ALWAYS believed it was coming.

And I wanted to believe it was happening NOW rather than sometime LATER.

giphy.gif

But no we were told that it will come and I believe it eventually will come but we don't affect the timeline of when it will come (which is after all construction is finished).

Ed

PS - given the way Disney like to "connect" resorts where possible like Poly-GF-Contemp and Riverside-FQ with walking trails, of course they would want to connect FW and WL. But when? :confused3

Last edited:
Oh I believe there is work being done.

I also have always believed that the trail will eventually reopen before I die.

But I don't yet know WHAT to believe about WHEN.

On my January 2024 visit to the Fort for the Celebration Half Marathon, I posted pictures from the (moving) bus of utility locating flags that had been put out over the old trail indicating that some activity would soon occur ("Call Before You Dig" - [or scrape for paving]). Thus it's no surprise that, 2-3 months later, something is happening.

Start at post #165.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/g...-2024-visit-to-fort-wilderness.3937956/page-9

As to when, I posted the contents of a brief encounter I had with the General Manager for Fort Wilderness (the guy whose welcome letter hangs outside all the comfort stations) during Halloween 2022 Trick-or-Treating when he was in a golf cart stuck in "traffic" in front of my site in loop 300 where we were handing out candy.

So I asked him THE question on EVERYONE'S mind. @Disneypeach would have thought less of me, I know, if I had the chance but DIDN'T ask the question. She was there that Halloween too.

Read post #128 and #131.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/october-trip-reports-😊.3892813/page-7#post-64399924

So even though they may be stealthily getting ready to pave the trail (just as they stealthily built the parking lot across from the new TCD for R**********), they WON'T open it up to use until the new resort is built/finished behind Pioneer Hall. With all the construction materials and machines/people necessary to finish that project, the liability lawyers aren't going to let joggers, walkers, and bikers on the trail with that equipment so close by so frequently. Heck now the road past loop 2000 is blocked off due to the DVC cabin replacement and the road they cut back to the STOL storage side lot for R********** will still be needed until ALL construction is done behind Pioneer Hall.

Whenever that is. :hourglass

So I've ALWAYS believed it was coming.

And I wanted to believe it was happening NOW rather than sometime LATER.

giphy.gif

But no we were told that it will come and I believe it eventually will come but we don't affect the timeline of when it will come (which is after all construction is finished).

Ed

PS - given the way Disney like to "connect" resorts where possible like Poly-GF-Contemp and Riverside-FQ with walking trails, of course they would want to connect FW and WL. But when? :confused3
So if the path were to open in the next few weeks... Does that mean R isn't happening?

Also.... I've always wondered if they would connect WL to the TTC, and the TTC to contemporary. There is a sidewalk that runs from the TTC to just past the water bridge.

So if the path were to open in the next few weeks... Does that mean R isn't happening?

Also.... I've always wondered if they would connect WL to the TTC, and the TTC to contemporary. There is a sidewalk that runs from the TTC to just past the water bridge.

Well first let me say, I HOPE I'm wrong. I HOPE that the trail is getting paved and will immediately open to guests between WL and FW.

I've jogged down the trail in the past during early mornings, to WL and out the entrance lane of WL to TTC which means crossing World Drive (the stretch from past the MK Toll Booth to the Contemp) and even though there is a red light there to help one cross, it can be a busy (dangerous) stretch for pedestrians trying to cross on foot.

Now the stretch from TTC to Contemp is possible if they extend and keep the paved walkway on the 7 Seas Lagoon side of World Drive all the way up to the intersection where the foot traffic from Contemp and BLT crosses and people walk to the MK entrance. I think that would be do-able.

My jog after TTC would be out the back of TTC toward Contemp, jog on the road shoulder briefly, pick up the pavement under the water bridge, and resume the shoulder up to the light and jog to the entrance turnstyles of MK. Take an early morning photo of MK, jog back across World Drive to the Contemp, and then ride the small boat to FW that used to run in the mornings to cool off.

That was a pretty nice track.

Bama Ed

PS - the original timeline would have been nice. Build R, replace and re-open the trail, then do the cabin swap-out. We'd already have the trail back by now if R had not been delayed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter