Three Things...Gratitude Thread

Bison- I'm grateful that there are still some out there, especially the ones that have been where they are since prehistoric times. If anything, it's pretty sad when you see how much of the continent they used to roam. They're huge, they're definitely brown...even the babies are called brownies.

Chocolate- My chocolate gratitude isn't universal. There are some things, like chocolate ice cream, that I really dislike. That being said, a gooey chocolate chip cookie, favorite candies/candy bars, fudge, and ganache are all pretty high on my list.

Soil- We often are grateful for everything that grows in it, but most trees and plants in our lives grow in dirt. So, I'm grateful for the soil that makes all that possible.

Good Afternoon :wave:

#1 - My family room furniture - I love it! So compfy!

#2 - My padded storage bench - it’s also in the family room and we use it for storing our blankets & throws, and people can also sit on it. We found it at Menards and I’ve never seen another one like it since

#3 - My Sophie dog (RIP) - she was all sorts of browns. She gave me so much joy

Although blue is my favorite color, I have always loved the combination of light blue and dark brown. In my early teaching days, my favorite outfit was a brown jumper and light blue shirt. (We weren’t allowed to wear pants back then)

Whenever I have imagined a “happy place”, other than WDW, a room where I would feel totally relaxed and happy, I imagine an old Victorian-like room, with dark brown paneling, built in bookcases, and a dark brown wood floor. (Said room is by the ocean, of course) :)

Dark chocolate

I also have brown hair. Dad's is darker. Grateful also for brown bags which can be used from anything from groceries (I do prefer heavier plastic overall for a store bag) to making puppets with kids. I also have the memory of my beloved grandma using grocery store paper bags to make covers for my school books so very many years ago now. Happy memories and sweet dreams dear friends with love.

Shoveled my driveway !!
Chopped down some trees
Above two did without me ever asking because they needed to be done !

Fixed my running toilets (2)

Other neighbor has their outside cameras turned to me so when I’m out at night with my dog they will know if something happens (wild animals mainly ) and can rescue me !!

Hard to do something in return as neither will accept anything ! Just being neighborly - I’ve done a few things but my one neighbor scolded me and told me don’t do that again ! 🤣🤣 I told him to hush up !! 🤣❤️😍

Good Morning! :wave:

I have wonderful neighbors!
We’ve been neighbors for 20 years.

#1 - They keep an eye on our house when we are out of town - this really gives us peace of mind. We do the same for them.

#2 - We’d always keep an eye on each others kids when they were little - this was nice, since all the girls liked to play outside together. When we moved into our house our girls were 6 & 1 and they had no kids yet. I’ve known their 3 girls their entire lives, and they’ve known my girls for most of their lives. I have no nieces or nephews, so their girls are as close as I’ll ever get to having nieces.

#3 - Helping Hand - if my DH needs help with something my neighbor never hesitates to help and my DH does the same for him.

Good Morning :grouphug:

Yelena our current next door neighbor has been so kind to keep us extra in prayer. She has also been loaning me her extra walker. Blessing to have a building friend next door.

Dad moved in this building so very many years ago after our valley apartment was condemed due to the Northridge earthquake because Champ was able to move in with him and his best friend lived 6 blocks away. George was an extra dad to my dad especially after my beloved grandpa passed. George would among other things help walk and care for Champ while dad was at work and I was at college. Champ, George, and my dear Grandoarents are now Heavenly neighbors.

Grandma Dolores living around the corner from me in a small town for a couple of years was truly a blessing extra from God.

Seven years ago, DH had knee surgery that became grossly infected; he ended up spending 7 weeks in the hospital/nursing home, in January/February. We had a huge snow storm that dumped about 3.5' of snow, and that didn't measure the drifts. The snow at the foot of my front steps and in the walk was shoulder-high, and the drifts against the side of the SUV reached the roof. I was sure I was snowed in until May when I suddenly heard a snow blower, and a voice yelling, "Don't worry, we're coming!" Our next door neighbors, James and Emily, were there, him with the snow blower and her with a shovel. She and I managed to get access to the SUV and the front walk, while James did the driveway around the SUV and access to the street. I went to spend the night in the nursing home with DH and when I came home the next afternoon, James had been back. He finished the drive and un-earthed the Kia, shoveled off the back deck, and created a pathway to the oil tank pipe so I could get oil delivered. These folks went above and beyond when DH and I were in a bad way, and we've always been grateful.

Milos, on the other side of our house, often will mow our lawn. He has a riding tractor mower that he enjoys too much, and has "fun" mowing both his yard and ours!

When we lived in Michigan (the first summer, when we moved in) we hired a guy down the street to help DH with the yard work- clearing out gardens, planting stuff, etc. Turns out he and his wife were pretty desperate, and lost their apartment about 3 weeks before new housing became available. We let them and their 3 little kids stay with us for about a week until temporary shelter could be found for them. It felt like a big risk, because we didn't really know them, and with all the horror stories on the internet, well... you can guess what concerned us. However, we had a big-enough house with an empty bedroom and a study with sofa-bed, and I wasn't going to let them be turned out onto the street. I don't know whatever became of them, but I think they were with us for 8 or 9 nights. It was a very stressful time for DH and me, and with our own DD and then an additional 5 people it was taking its toll on our relationship, so I couldn't let them stay indefinitely. It wouldn't have been healthy for my family. I am glad that we could help them as much as we could, though, instead of them having to live in their car or go to a homeless shelter. They left us for a 2br suite (with kitchenette and living area), temporary housing until their new accommodations were available.

Graduation Gift- We have some neighbors diagonally across the street that are just so sweet. I'd guess they're probably about 5-10 years older than my parents. They are so complimentary with everything we do and often share their year end wrap-up booklets or vacation books. Recently, before they left for a summer in Europe, they popped by with a graduation gift for DD17. I never expected this.

The woman two doors down from us- She's super sweet. We got to talking as I was waiting for the city to come by and help with a massive oak that had fallen and was blocking the road. Oddly enough, that tree came from neighbor 1's yard...and they were away on another trip. We got to talking about DD15s travel ball life, she mentioned fundraisers (like that we probably need to do a lot), and when I told her about the poinsettia sale we were currently doing she 1. said to come by with DD because she was going to buy one 2. gave me a list of the neighbors on her end of the block that she thought would be in on buying as well. We sold an extra four plants because of her kindness.

Holidays- I know this is generic, but our town really gets into Christmas and Halloween decorations...to the point that it's carried over into other holidays. We will never qualify for best block since my house faces into the cul de sac, but we all come together and put on a really nice display and have fun trying to individually best each other to aim for one of the singular categories. I haven't joined on the bandwagon for everything, but some decorate for EVERYTHING. We have one neighbor that puts up a picket fence around Easter and fills their yard with eggs of varying sizes. We're talking kiddie ball-pit full on a quarter acre lot. It's amazing. A lot of people do patriotic stuff. If I'm home, I'll do my front flowerbed/trees in red white and blue lights and then program the big projector to look like red white and blue confetti on the house. We have one guy that must have invested in banners, holiday specific neon lights and some really good RGB lights because he has everything from Valentine's Day and Mother's Day to St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving and some really unique lighting colors. I know we all do it because we like it, but it kind of gives back to everyone as something festive and fun to enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter