What is your not so normal item to pack, which is helpful while at WDW ?

• Indoor waterproof potting mats. When you pinch the sides together, it creates a waterproof tray so that chargers, straws, lipstick tubes, and pens do not roll away or get messy. I use one to prepare food. I use one to set my toothbrush and medicine on. My girls each use one for their bedside chargers, makeup, water, etc.
  • Phone case with strap. The brand is zerognecklace.de and it's German. Very comfortable, adjustable, and virtually indestructible.
  • UV sun shawl. Folds small, great to cover shoulders if you can't find a shady spot to sit for lunch or parades. Works when wet also.
  • Folding fan. This nylon fan won't rip, is waterproof, and folds into a tiny circle. I got mine at Daiso. Try searching for "Foldable Flying Disc Fan" or "Handheld Cooling Fan Folding."
  • UV camera/pocket mirror. Great to make sure I get my face, chest, and shoulders completely covered. The brand I use is FENCHILIN.
  • Titanium coffee mug, which fits in a Nalgene wide mouth water bottle, and then all of this goes in the Nalgene:
    • Mount Hagen single serve coffee.
    • Heavy Cream Powder.
    • Heather's Tummy Fiber single packets.
    • Stainless steel collapsible straw with brush
    • Katadyn BeFree 1.0L Water Filter, collapsible (great for making coffee in the room).
  • Portable kettle. We use it for coffee, hot water for laundry stains, and sterilizing things. I store a cut up backpacking towel and a few disposable compressed towels (the little individually wrapped pucks that you add water to expand) inside this.
  • Folding scissors.
  • Folding reading glasses. I prefer telescoping arms over hinges, which always pull my hair.
  • Cortibalm. This hydrocortisone stick is so useful for chapped lips, mild eczema, any small itchy spots.
  • Contact lens cases for "dabs" of serums, gels, Vaseline, under eye cream, earrings.
  • Hygiene kit: 1) S hook with rounded ball ends, 2) refillable flat travel pouches (search "Travel Pouches for Toiletries" "Stand Up Pouch"), 3) small drawstring sisal or mesh soap bag.
    • I use a hole punch to punch a hole in the bottom of the stand-up plastic pouch without breaking the seal, then I fill and label.
    • I fill the drawstring mesh bags with slivers of soap, razor, makeup remover pads, etc.
    • At the hotel, I string everything together on a book binding ring from the Dollar Tree. Then, I hang the ring on an S hook over the shower rod or towel bar. This is great for traveling with my young adult daughters because everyone's items stay together and don't take up shelf space.
    • The S hooks also are handy as hooks for towels and bathing suits for use as hangers in the closet.
  • La Roche Posay Cicaplast Balm B5. My holy grail for soothing skin.
  • Disposable toilet seat covers.
  • 3" x 3" plastic pouches for jewelry, pills, powders, and first aid.
  • Rip Skirt Hawai’i. These wrap skirts fold so small, dry fast, and can be dressed up for dinner (especially the longer lengths). I wear quick-dry bike shorts underneath.

Pain patches. Can't tell you how relieved I packed them. Have used on hip, knee, back etc. etc. Even cut them with cuticle scissors to put on forehead at night for headaches (I get). I cannot live without a pain spray (Biofreeze) and can take on plane tote because 3 oz).

Unscented lip balm for purse and backpack. Has really come in handy to prevent blisters. So much smaller and more easily tucked into places in case a shoe starts rubbing. Has really saved the day.

Always thin plastic bags (the kind that aren't zip and thicker.....these I get at WalMart as never saw anywhere else. They are great for wet umbrellas, anything that needs a plastic bag etc. etc. They take up literally no room in a backpack.

Dollar Tree ponchos (aside from heavier Disney ponchos). The cheapies have come in handy for the wet rides or a light sprinkle of rain. Heavier for the FL monsoons that the weather app says were NOT coming (but did).

I love, love, love Japanese one-use heated eyeshades. Cannot live without them at home and travel. They are cheap on Amazon (usually 30 to a box, calming & restful after a tough walking day and help me fall asleep faster due to being so relaxing. The heat lasts about 45 minutes but absolutely wonderful. My daughter is an ESL teacher for Japanese clients and they told her about them. Now I can't live without them. Many brands are scented (as in lavender etc.) which are nice but mine have a very mild, if any, scent.

Small little tote bag like the smallest size sold at Disney (I have several...Epcot, MK, AK, etc. etc. but now I think it's just a general Disney one. Not crazy about it as it looks slightly larger). I ALWAYS slip into my backpack and has come in insanely handy when buying something fragile or picking up take out food at, say, Earl of Sandwich, etc.

Pen & paper. Hate that Disney has no more in the room. I use all the time writing notes to myself, notes to Mousekeeper, etc. etc.

Rubber bands and bandaids. You may think when would I use a rubber band? You wouldn't believe it! A windbreaker jacket squishes down to nothing with a rubber band wrapped around it in a backpack. The bandaids go without saying. Have you ever priced bandaids at Disney?

Those are the things that come to mind and I pack first.

Especially the headrest! I've seen some nasty hair on airplanes! And if no one has mentioned it (too long of a thread to read the whole thing), a pair of children's scissors with the blunt tips is very handy! Never know when you may need to cut off a price tag, some moleskin, gum out of hair (don't ask) or whatever else!
You don't even need blunt tip children's scissors. (unless of course to prevent little hands from grabbing) I wouldn't dream of traveling with regular small scissors a little bigger than tweezers. I never check luggage and there is never ever a problem in my carry on tote.

I haven't read through the whole thread so my items may have been mentioned. Its an old thread which means I may have actually posted this already.

We drive. I bring a drying rack. It folds flat and doesn't take up much space. I have never regretted bringing it, and used it every time. Trying to find places to hang up 5 sets of clothes after a rainstorm, or even 5 ponchos kind of sucks. Sure there is the line in the shower, but it doesn't hold five sets of clothes, and you need to move the stuff to shower. Throw in pool towels and bathing suits and there are just so many articles of clothing that need some drying time, but not necessary a dryer.

I also bring an over the door shoe holder and use the clear pockets to store stuff - extra ziploc bags, plastic silverware, first aid/medicines, miscellaneous cords and chargers, hair ties/brushes, etc. It cuts down on clutter and eliminates a lot of the "hey Mom where is the _____" questions.

Pain patches. Can't tell you how relieved I packed them. Have used on hip, knee, back etc. etc. Even cut them with cuticle scissors to put on forehead at night for headaches (I get). I cannot live without a pain spray (Biofreeze) and can take on plane tote because 3 oz).

Unscented lip balm for purse and backpack. Has really come in handy to prevent blisters. So much smaller and more easily tucked into places in case a shoe starts rubbing. Has really saved the day.

Always thin plastic bags (the kind that aren't zip and thicker.....these I get at WalMart as never saw anywhere else. They are great for wet umbrellas, anything that needs a plastic bag etc. etc. They take up literally no room in a backpack.

Dollar Tree ponchos (aside from heavier Disney ponchos). The cheapies have come in handy for the wet rides or a light sprinkle of rain. Heavier for the FL monsoons that the weather app says were NOT coming (but did).

I love, love, love Japanese one-use heated eyeshades. Cannot live without them at home and travel. They are cheap on Amazon (usually 30 to a box, calming & restful after a tough walking day and help me fall asleep faster due to being so relaxing. The heat lasts about 45 minutes but absolutely wonderful. My daughter is an ESL teacher for Japanese clients and they told her about them. Now I can't live without them. Many brands are scented (as in lavender etc.) which are nice but mine have a very mild, if any, scent.

Small little tote bag like the smallest size sold at Disney (I have several...Epcot, MK, AK, etc. etc. but now I think it's just a general Disney one. Not crazy about it as it looks slightly larger). I ALWAYS slip into my backpack and has come in insanely handy when buying something fragile or picking up take out food at, say, Earl of Sandwich, etc.

Pen & paper. Hate that Disney has no more in the room. I use all the time writing notes to myself, notes to Mousekeeper, etc. etc.

Rubber bands and bandaids. You may think when would I use a rubber band? You wouldn't believe it! A windbreaker jacket squishes down to nothing with a rubber band wrapped around it in a backpack. The bandaids go without saying. Have you ever priced bandaids at Disney?

Eyeshade brand, please and thank you!

Eyeshade brand, please and thank you!
(It's obvious the package is translated from Japanese.)
The front of the package says:
BeHoomi 1 pack Steam Eye Mask (honestly there's no steam, just heat)
"Enjoying Eye Spa Every Time"
Replenish Moisture
Nature Fabric

Lavender (I smell no lavender as other brands do smell)

Right hand corner: 30-40 minutes 104-113F (definitely doesn't feel that hot!)

I couldn't love them more. Makes me fall asleep and helps dry eyes and tension in general. I'm speaking just for myself and several other Japanese ladies I know personally.

Amazon will pull up many brands. Most are more expensive. And the scent is more obvious. These are the only ones I order because there are 30 to a package and very reasonable since I use every night.

(It's obvious the package is translated from Japanese.)
The front of the package says:
BeHoomi 1 pack Steam Eye Mask (honestly there's no steam, just heat)
"Enjoying Eye Spa Every Time"
Replenish Moisture
Nature Fabric

Lavender (I smell no lavender as other brands do smell)

Right hand corner: 30-40 minutes 104-113F (definitely doesn't feel that hot!)

I couldn't love them more. Makes me fall asleep and helps dry eyes and tension in general. I'm speaking just for myself and several other Japanese ladies I know personally.

Amazon will pull up many brands. Most are more expensive. And the scent is more obvious. These are the only ones I order because there are 30 to a package and very reasonable since I use every night.
Thank you! I have a major list of items but I have 4 Owner's Lockers so some of them my not make sense to others. Like you, I always have pen/paper AND a Sharpie.

Last edited:
Thank you! I have a major list of items but I have 4 Owner's Lockers so some of them my not make sense to others. Like you, I always have pen/paper AND a Sharpie.
Wow!! 4 Owners Lockers! I presume you have long stays and/or many trips.
I'm so jealous. Even though I have several week stays and one 2-weeks stay, I have no Locker and trying to figure out if I can justify the cost. I never cook at Disney so need none of that yet I do take tons of 'products' to help various ailments.
Hmm....I seriously need to look into it. I know DH will say we spend 3 months in winter an hour away so, if worst comes to worst, we could get what we want. But I like the idea of an Owners Locker much better.

AVEENO Oatmeal Powder in individual packets to soak my feet & ankles in the bathtub before bedtime .
I seem to get that mysterious rash around my ankles whenever I am at DL or WDW…
I think walking on concrete kicks up the insect repellent they use . Maybe …?

Not sure if its been mentioned but a small screwdriver... I don't know why disney insists on screwing their toys into their boxes but it is meltdown city when your kid buys a new truck, you get back to the room and that sucker is STUCK in the box.

Wow!! 4 Owners Lockers! I presume you have long stays and/or many trips.
I'm so jealous. Even though I have several week stays and one 2-weeks stay, I have no Locker and trying to figure out if I can justify the cost. I never cook at Disney so need none of that yet I do take tons of 'products' to help various ailments.
Hmm....I seriously need to look into it. I know DH will say we spend 3 months in winter an hour away so, if worst comes to worst, we could get what we want. But I like the idea of an Owners Locker much better.
They usually have an awesome deal for DVC members. I spent 90 days in total one year. Now I live in FLA - a year ago last Thursday - and I still love the lockers because I don't have to remember everything. I keep my 'Disney' travel bag open in the guest room so when I need something - last time was mini deodorants for guests who forget theirs (one and done :-) - and hair ties, I buy them and throw them in to be put in the lockers. I use Alexa to keep a list.

I just bought a small pack of disposable warming eye masks to test them out and OMG they are great! I get a lot of sinus and eye pain and these are amazing. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

I just bought a small pack of disposable warming eye masks to test them out and OMG they are great! I get a lot of sinus and eye pain and these are amazing. Thank you so much for the recommendation!
So glad u like. First thing that goes into my Disney suitcase. And at home of course.

Not sure if its been mentioned but a small screwdriver... I don't know why disney insists on screwing their toys into their boxes but it is meltdown city when your kid buys a new truck, you get back to the room and that sucker is STUCK in the box.
That's so crazy. I presume it's for theft but there simply HAS to be a better way. I feel sorry for the kids. I know how frustrated I, as an adult, with the packaging of today. Such waste and needless aggravation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter