What do I want to do besides Yosemite?

woodys_girl

Mouseketeer
My family and I (3 kids-ages 8, 10, 12) are planning to go to Yosemite next summer (2025). I know that rooms are available to book a year in advance, so figure I might as well get the bones in place before that. I'm planning maybe 3 nights in Yosemite, but I figure we'll take a long week 8-10 nights perhaps. We will fly in (SFO, SJC ?) and rent a car. Where else should we go? Tahoe? Monterey? Do people still take their kids to San Francisco (serious question because I thought it was a tad sketchy 15 years ago when we lived in the Bay Area and I have heard it is way worse now)? I would love to take them to see the coastal redwoods. Is Lassen NP worth the drive? What about Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon? Obviously we can't do it all; I'm just trying to figure out what is the best use of our time.

Family likes: Disney, hands-on activities (museums, etc), playing in dirt, water, or the combination thereof, rides and games, soda and fun food
Family dislikes: Crowds, traffic jams, loud noises, museums where you have to read everything and be quiet, lines

Been to Yosemite twice. Truly, bucket list scenery. Go up to Glacier Point, stop at the Tunnel View overlook, and do some hikes, maybe up to Vernal Falls. Also, it's a short hike to Bridalveil Falls. Eat lunch or dinner in The Ahwahnee dining room.

Sequoia/Kings Canyon is also bucket list stuff. Gigantic trees.

We've driven Highway One along Big Sur several times. Take your time and stop often for pics and to listen to the surf.

Tahoe is pretty, but can get busy in the summer.

Death Valley is also a great visit and not crowded at all. No place else on the planet like it.

My family and I (3 kids-ages 8, 10, 12) are planning to go to Yosemite next summer (2025). I know that rooms are available to book a year in advance, so figure I might as well get the bones in place before that. I'm planning maybe 3 nights in Yosemite, but I figure we'll take a long week 8-10 nights perhaps. We will fly in (SFO, SJC ?) and rent a car. Where else should we go? Tahoe? Monterey? Do people still take their kids to San Francisco (serious question because I thought it was a tad sketchy 15 years ago when we lived in the Bay Area and I have heard it is way worse now)? I would love to take them to see the coastal redwoods. Is Lassen NP worth the drive? What about Sequoia and/or Kings Canyon? Obviously we can't do it all; I'm just trying to figure out what is the best use of our time.

Family likes: Disney, hands-on activities (museums, etc), playing in dirt, water, or the combination thereof, rides and games, soda and fun food
Family dislikes: Crowds, traffic jams, loud noises, museums where you have to read everything and be quiet, lines

We are headed that way this summer after a tournament in SoCal. We're planning on Sequoia and Kings Canyon on our way to Yosemite. I wish we had the time to make it up to Lassen, and I know several national park enthusiasts that feel it's worth at least stopping by for a day. I know some people that have gone as far as calling in Yellowstone-Lite due to the thermal features. We're only planning on 2 nights in Yosemite. I originally planned 3, but I pivoted because it's more of a scenery park. As much as I do enjoy big beautiful views, my family is big on parks with wildlife. So, I suspect they'll be ready to go after 2 nights.

I see someone mentioned Death Valley and while I do recommend a visit, it's not one we like in the summer. Pinnacles NP is another one that you could probably make it to. I don't hear as many people saying it's a must, but it's one of those things that I'd probably visit ... even if just briefly ... just to check it off of my list of parks.

Born and raised in San Francisco (and a huge Yosemite fan, I go 5-6 times a year); while downtown SF/Union Square is a shell of its former self, the city still has lots of charm and great stuff for kids — Disney Family Museum and the Presidio Tunnel Tops park; the Exploratorium; Golden Gate Park and the Academy of Sciences museums are so much fun. I also think Angel Island is fascinating and has decent hiking, though given its dark history maybe not ideal for kids. Muir Woods or the ferry to Sausalito are also fun.

Yosemite — I could (and have) spent weeks there and not get bored. As far as lodging, figure out which part of the park you want as your home base and go from there. The Valley has the most options for major sightseeing and easy hikes, plus lots of “amenities,” eg restaurants, museum, gift shops, visitor center, multiple lodges, but it’s definitely the busiest and most crowded. Wawona has easy access to the giant Sequoias and the Pioneer History Museum (it has a new name now, which escapes me at the moment) is a lot of fun for kids to explore, and the Wawona Hotel which I think is the most charming lodging in the park, but it was also built in the 1880s and is quirky in a way that might not appeal to everyone. It’s also ~45 min from the Valley. There’s also White Wolf Lodge, which isn’t really “near” anything, but is on the way to Tuolumne Meadows, or the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, which has the best access for High Sierra hikes and is typically far less crowded (but about 90 min drive from the Valley).

Other places: Tahoe is always spectacular, but has become crazy crowded year-round. That said, I still love Camp Richardson (halfway between Emerald Bay and South Lake) — historic family resort with cabins, campgrounds, huge beach, decent restaurant/bar, hiking, and ice cream parlour.

Lassen: cool, but it’s about 5hours from SF in the opposite direction from Yosemite and unfortunately sustained major wildfire damage throughout the park a few years ago.

Sequoia/Kings Canyon: south of Yosemite. The Giants Highway is really stunning with easy access to hikes of all levels (Morro Rock has incredible views, if you’re ok with hiking a whole bunch of stairs) as is the drive down into Kings Canyon. Zumwalt meadow is beautiful. There are several lodging options inside the park; I’ve camped at Buckeye Flats (it’s fine, nothing noteworthy) and stayed at Wuksachi Lodge which was nice enough but felt like a really overpriced Best Western with pinecone decor. Both parks will be crowded during the summer season, Sequoia moreso than Kings Canyon.

Have fun and happy planning!

Never liked SF myself so no issues not visiting it as far as I’m concerned.
The Monterey Peninsula is amazing, Point Lobos, Pacific Grove, Carmel all wonderful parks or beach communities. You could also spend a night or 2 in Santa Cruz and visit the nearby Henry Cowell Redwoods which have plenty of huge trees and is very accessible. Theres also The Mystery Spot nearby, bit of a tacky attraction but fun and the kids would probably enjoy it.
SeKi is amazing but probably a bit out of the way this trip. I’d head over Tioga Pass and visit June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Mono Lake and Lone Pine, all along Hwy 395 which has some amazing scenery and sights, including the tallest mountain in the continental US, Mt Whitney.
DV is way too hot in June (120F plus) and Big Sur can be visited as a day trip from Monterey. Note Hwy 1 through Big Sur is currently closed, due to reopen in the Fall but landslides have been all too common the last few years so keep an eye on road conditions.

Hi! My family is heading to CA this summer (in about four weeks) and this is our plan. We are flying into SF and spending two nights in the city. Main reason is to see a Giants game, but we are also visiting Muir Woods while there. We’ll fill in our time with things in SF. From there we are heading down the coast to Monterrey and then making our way over to Yosemite. We’ll be there for only two nights and are staying at Yosemite Valley Lodge. Everything I’ve read says to stay inside the park if possible. We are then driving south to Anaheim and spending three park days at Disneyland. Next, we’ll drive to LA for a Dodgers game before heading to San Diego to spend three nights before flying home. In SD, we are going to a Padres game and definitely visiting the zoo. I have to figure out how we are spending the rest of our time there.

There’s so much to do in CA. Have a great trip!

We are going to Yosemite this summer. It's for longer than what you're planning.
Here is our itinerary:

Fly to Fresno, CA, 3 nights in Yosemite Valley Lodge
(Mariposa Grove, Glacier point the day we drive in
Yosemite Valley including Vernal Falls hike the first full day
Tioga Road the second full day)
2 nights Lake Tahoe, CA
(Calaveras Big Trees State Park on the drive to Tahoe,
Cave Rock State Park Nevada during the full day)
1 night Chester, CA
(Emerald Bay State Park on the drive)
1 night Red Bluff, CA
(Full day at Lassen NP)
1 night Garberville, CA
(Multiple Redwoods sites on the drive)
1 night Eureka, CA
(Shelter Cove, Black Sands Beach trail, more Redwoods on the drive)
1 night Crescent City, CA
(Redwoods including Trillium Falls hike, Lady Bird Johnson Grove, Trinidad CA, Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park)
1 night Crater Lake Lodge, OR
(Seeing Oregon Caves National Monument on the way)
3 nights Bend, OR
(boat tour of Crater Lake / Wizard Island and High Desert Museum the day of driving in
Smith Rock SP and tubing the first full day
various sightseeing and hiking in Deschutes and Willamette National Forests the 2nd full day)
2 nights Hillsboro, OR
(seeing Mt. Hood and Columbia River Gorge on the drive there,
seeing Ecola State Park and Lewis & Clark Historic Park the full day)
fly home out of Portland, OR

We are going to Yosemite this summer. It's for longer than what you're planning.
Here is our itinerary:

2 nights Lake Tahoe, CA
1 night Chester, CA
1 night Red Bluff, CA
(Full day at Lassen NP)
1 night Garberville, CA
1 night Eureka, CA
(Redwoods including Trillium Falls hike, Lady Bird Johnson Grove, Trinidad CA, Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park)
3 nights Bend, OR
(boat tour of Crater Lake / Wizard Island and High Desert Museum the day of driving in
various sightseeing and hiking in Deschutes and Willamette National Forests the 2nd full day)
2 nights Hillsboro, OR
We've done quite a bit of this list and have fond recollections (and hundreds of pics and videos) of all the places. Enjoy!

Here is our itinerary:

2 nights Lake Tahoe, CA
1 night Chester, CA
1 night Red Bluff, CA
(Full day at Lassen NP)
1 night Garberville, CA
1 night Eureka, CA
3 nights Bend, OR
2 nights Hillsboro, OR
This looks like an awesome trip. Please report back on the highlights.

The Monterey Peninsula is amazing, Point Lobos, Pacific Grove, Carmel all wonderful parks or beach communities. …Note Hwy 1 through Big Sur is currently closed, due to reopen in the Fall but landslides have been all too common the last few years so keep an eye on road conditions.
You can get to Big Sur from Monterey - they reopened Hwy 1 at the Rocky Slip on 5/17, Hwy 1 further south at Paul’s Slide is still closed, so you can’t get to Big Sur by taking Hwy 1 N. from S. CA. https://www.kqed.org/news/11986383/when-will-highway-1-big-sur-reopen.
Pt. Lobos is very popular in the summer & they close the entry when the parking lots fill up. You can usually walk in if you find a spot to park on Hwy. 1, but they occasionally even close walk in entry. Best advice is to get there early. Pt. Lobos is a reserve - there are no gift or food stores, but it is a stunning place to hike IMO.
IMG_2770.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter