Springtime Surprise Weekend 2024 (April 18-21)

Springtime Surprise 2024 Report
Part 2 - Shifted schedules, our hearts are together

When DH probability of « I might go with you at Disney » went over 50%, we discussed priorities. Of course, my main reason, euh excuse, was running very early three mornings in a row. So we agreed that our schedules might shift apart and that it was ok not to be together all the time.

On Wednesday, we did not set our alarm but I was awake super early and wanted to rope drop AK. This way, I rode FoP, Navy and Everest before DH joined me at 9AM for the classic photoshoot in front of the Tree of Life. The animals and the safari were stupendous this morning!
IMG_5727.jpeg

I then surprised DH by entering Nomad’s lounge: It had been 20 years since he last had real churros (he cannot eat gluten), exquisite moment. The birds at the show were less cooperative but that was funny. A bowl at Satuli’s Canteen and the Nemo show completed this excellent, truly Disneyesque, morning at AK.

We went back for swimming at the resort. Through our stay, housekeeping left me a All Star medal, a thank you note for choosing them for the runDisney weekend and a Springtime Surprise magnet on the door. I suspect that the magnet was partly as a reminder that someone might be napping at strange hours… Which I did.

I got ready and found DH sleeping at the pool. I left him there and left for Epcot to ride GotG. By the time I was done, DH was already at the concert. We skylined to HS for a Fantasmic show. I was really touched by being pixie dusted a Mickey Bar for my MU dress (from last year’s 10k), I worked so hard to make it and got many compliments!
1715712843172.jpeg

Thursday… One could think that I would be reasonable and use my last chance to sleep in, but I can’t do that, I am at Disney. Anyway, that’s how we 7DMT, BTMRR, Jungle Cruise, watch, shop etc. before our Tron BG. For some reason there is a lot of delays on our track but we eventually rode it, first row and DH loved it. Sadly, it was his first and last time. Add to the list of rides that make him motion sick (dizziness and headache). The boat to WL didn’t help. It was our second time at Whispering Canyon and he was in that state the last time too, in 2016. We picked two different AYCE skillets, both GF, and highly recommend them.

DH went to rest and I went to the Expo. I started at the runDisney merchandise building (with my VQ) and bought something! A little blue purse. After I got my bib, I posed with the characters and browsed the rest of the expo.
1715712913477.jpeg
Of course, while I could still be awake enough to enjoy it, we went back to MK to see the fireworks 🤩

Part 3 - Run

This report is already so long, and I haven’t ran yet! My only objective was to enjoy so I started my Friday morning by meeting DISers! Being with friends for real, even if for brief moments was a real pleasure this weekend. Thank you @Naomeri @The Expert @MissLiss279 and @amazingact21 for your welcoming smiles!
1715790790165.jpeg
The 5k course through Epcot is always nice and there were characters that I had never met: Ralph, Reuben and Sparky, plus my friend Captain Hook. It was soon over.
1715790879127.jpeg
Some buses had a bit of delays so I hoped on a Swan bus, strolled by Crescent lake as the sun was coming up, washed up and ate a Mickey Waffles breakfast in the BC solarium before entering Epcot again to ride Ratatouille. DH joined me and we chilled around WS. We never tire of these splendid flowers.
1715791110410.jpeg
After my nap, we went to Typhoon Lagoon for the wave pool and lazy river. Then to DS where I purchased a Vera Bradley crossbody bag (mom’s gift to me) and we ate at T-Rex 🦖 (gotta use those Landry’s gift cards). Finally, we enjoyed a Sassagoula sunset river cruise to POFQ where we savored some GF beignets (Nomad churros win).

Part 4 - Run again

The BIG event of the 10k was my Kevin tutu! I made it myself and it was the first tutu I ever owned. I put it on after getting off the bus and wore it proudly, stopping for so much characters along the beautiful Epcot/Boardwalk course: Mirabel and Bruno, Little John, Carl Frederison, Lewis Robinson,
Goofy the explorer, Starlord and Gamora. I learned later that Mirabel, Bruno, my tutu and I were on the runDisney FB page!
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_5866.jpeg
1715792690983.jpeg

By the time I was done with the after race partying, excellent DJ by the way, DH was leaving our room so he picked up a change of clothes for me and we met at the Epcot entrance. We rode Soarin and then I was hungry craving for a huge donut I had seen. Asha was just in front of the cart so, smile! I suddenly realized that I still had not met Mickey and his meet and greet was opening in five minutes. So I quickly walked and was rewarded with my best picture with these friends ever!
1715792857019.jpeg

Next was the monorail (can’t skip this!). I was getting sluggish and ate my snack box (great this year) sitting on a Tony Townsquare rocking chair. After basically walking MK I left DH to watch the parade and I went to rest.

AK was closing at 7PM so we headed that way. I found myself dancing with the real Kevin, what a hoot she is! In about two hours we covered Everest, Marahaja Jungle Trek (active tiger 🐅), Festival of the Lion King, dinner at Satuli’s and Navi.
1715793321508.jpeg
DH went straight to MK to see the fireworks and I did the sensible thing zzzzz

Part 5 - Run and go

The morning routine was well ingrained by now, only pure joy and some 16km (10 miles) to run remaining.
IMG_5837.jpeg
The main portion of the course, after Epcot and HS, is along the highway. However not as exhilarating than running through the parks, I found the animation much better than last year: I stopped 15 times for characters pictures, paused to listen to three bands and walked some overly slanted turns. I was kind of sad to be done.
1715827629396.jpeg
1715827646078.jpeg
1715827306147.jpeg
Our requests for a later checkout was confirmed through the chat. So I headed to HS by way of CBR and Skyliner. DH was trying to RotR but that was closed for most of that day. I was happy to catch up on ToT so all was not lost.
IMG_6091.jpeg
After packing the luggages and grabbing lunch, we headed to MK for medals pictures and candy shopping. 🛍️
IMG_5880.jpeg
Our last carriage brought us back to the resort before our journey home.
IMG_5843.jpeg
The days and weeks that followed were insanely busy but what better tribute to Springtime Surprise 2024 than booking a bounced back offer for Springtime Surprise 2025… Although there is only a small percentage of chance that we are coming 🤭

Yes, thank you @flav for documenting all of that. It was great to see you at the meetups. I'm only disappointed you didn't share the epic step-by-step of creating the beautiful hook for your 5K costume. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter