Seizures in Dogs

paisleys

DIS Veteran
We have a three year old mixed breed who is in perfect health, aside from seizures (she shakes uncontrollably and pees, drools etc). Last summer she had her first. Then a couple of months later, another. The vet advised us that putting her on meds would mean she would always need to be on them, so we waited. The seizures came more frequently (two in one night) so she was put on Zonisamide (100 mg). The vet also ran a bunch of tests (liver, kidney, blood etc etc), which all came back normal. She's been on the meds 2-3 weeks now. Picture of health, but she always is between seizures. Last night she had a seizure--first one while also on the meds. But this time, her behavior drove us nuts. Instead of going back to normal, she ran around and kept us up all night. She did not seem in distress, just excited. Like she wanted attention and to get petted. I will call the vet later, but have to work today so it's going to be hard. I don't plan on taking her there as she seems like an effervescent healthy dog so not sure what they would check. I'm curious as to people's experiences with their dogs having seizures while on meds. Did they still get them with anti seizure medication? Also, our next step is an MRI to see if she has a brain tumor. Vet said this is rare (plus she has no head tilt or other symptoms) but I'm at my wit's end trying to understand what could be going on.

My dad had a dog who had frequent seizures (started about the same age as your dog). The vet did what she could in the beginning but ended up sending the dog to a neurologist. I don’t know that I ever heard a name for what the dog had but basically he had too much pressure on his brain. With meds his seizures were fairly well controlled. He had some break through seizures but for the most part he lived a good life. The meds had to be strictly given so the dog was a lot of work but it was something my dad was willing to do.

The dog did sometimes act strange after a seizure. Sometimes he was excited after he recovered other times very tired. I always gave him something small to eat after he was very fully recovered. Good luck with your dog. They become members of the family and it’s hard when they are sick.

Last edited:
We lost our dog just before Christmas, and he suffered from seizures for several years. It was no fun for anyone. He was a rescue dog and almost certainly the product of a bad backyard breeder. He was blind from birth and had several other neurological problems too -- we always knew he wouldn't have the gift of long years, and the seizures were part of that. Our experience:

- His seizures came irregularly. We never identified any triggers -- except that they usually came at night. He'd have two seizures this week, then no more for months. Often when he had one, he'd have two in the same evening. He averaged six or so a year (though some of those were doubles, meaning two in one night).
- Our vet did not put him on meds, saying that meds come with other issues, and unless he was having seizures every week, he didn't want to put us into the monitoring (and cost) that would go with that. He said the meds were hard on -- did he say the liver? or the kidneys?
- We never once had any forewarning of a seizure, even once we all knew what to look for.
- His seizures varied in length and intensity. Typically 3-4 minutes, occasionally shorter, one horrible one late in his life went on for maybe 20 minutes (he went in and out), and I genuinely thought he would die.
- During a seizure, he'd throw up, poop and pee. Often he foamed at the mouth, and sometimes he'd bite his tongue and bleed. Sometimes he'd whine as if he were in pain. He looked as if electricity were passing through him. He'd move his legs kinda like he was riding a bicycle.
- During the seizures we'd pet him and say reassuring things, but that was more for us; I don't think he could hear us.
- After a seizure, he'd pant hard as if he'd been running, and he'd be highly disoriented, but -- at the same time -- he had a strong desire to MOVE. He'd walk down the hall, find himself at the end and be unable to turn around. He'd decide he HAD TO BE in the laundry room NOW, then he'd get in there and whine /cry because he couldn't figure out how to leave.
- With us talking gently to him and encouraging him to "Go to bed", he'd usually settle in after 20 minutes or so of this hyper-confused-intense-walking (but always on his schedule -- we could not make him lie down). Sometimes he'd pop up again and restart the wandering thing.
- Once we got him down, one of us would sit by him and pet him gently, saying his name and quiet, comforting things. He didn't really respond to these ministrations, but it did seem to help him settle down faster.
- Once he finally laid down, invariably he slept hard for hours. It was like a "reset sleep", and once he woke up, it was like the seizure had never happened.

Things we did to deal with the seizures:
- Because his seizures almost always came late at night, we started giving him his last walk as late as possible -- sometimes even midnight, which suits our lifestyle. If a seizure came while his bladder and colon were empty, better for us.
- He slept all over the place, and IF he started a seizure on the sofa, we'd ease him down to the floor. This was better than him falling /possibly landing badly on his head or neck. We weren't always close by to do this.
- We learned to close all the living room doors /lay a chair on its side so he couldn't get into the dining room. Limiting his space reduced the amount of time he wandered, and this eliminated the possibility of him getting into a spot like the end of the hall, where he'd frustrate himself (and he'd start to do the hound-dog howl).
- We're a three-adult household, so one person would comfort the dog while the others started cleaning even before the seizure stopped. We kept a basket of seizure-cleaning materials ready to grab out of the laundry room. It was imperative to get the poop, pee and vomit cleaned up immediately; he would walk through them, dirtying himself and spreading them around the room.
- We bought a Bissell Spot Bot, which is the best thing ever. We call ours Lady Macbeth (Out, damned spot).
- We bought puppy pads, took them out of the packages and kept them in the living room to "shove under him" as a seizure started -- then we'd pull him away from the initial mess (he would sometimes roll in it). This didn't help with the initial mess, but often he "dribbled", and this prevented additional mess.
- He loved sleeping on a hand-knitted blanket, so we had two small ones. If he messed one, it could go right into the wash, and we still had another -- we'd rub the blanket against his face and shoulders while saying, "Go to bed now", and it seemed to encourage him in that direction.

Last edited:
Yes, unusual behavior after a seizure is normal. Their brains have misfired and sometimes that leaves them confused, groggy, excitable, etc. I’d recommend having your dog seen by a neurologist. They’ll be better suited for diagnosing and prescribing meds than your regular vet.

Our nine year old Airedale Terrier, Phoebe, has Idiopathic Epilepsy. She was diagnosed when she was just over a year old. Initially her seizures were fairly mild, where she would drool, stare at a wall...etc. They progressed to more typical seizures where she loses consciousness, falls over, flails about and usually urinates. Her seizures have changed a bit over time as to what she does right before a seizure (she would always vomit first...then go into it), and time of day. She used to have seizures right around 8-11pm. Now, when she does have a seizure, which is not all that frequently as we have good control of them now.....is usually sometime between 4-6am.

Phoebe has been on Potassium Bromide since her diagnosis....it's a liquid that she gets in her food twice a day. She loves it because it's flavored. We've also dealt with the hyper-manic behavior that you're describing in Phoebe post seizure. It was a bit worse when she was younger, and back then my Vet did prescribe Xanax for her....that I'd give her as soon as the seizure was over and that would help to settle her down for the 1-2 hours post seizure. Now, I don't bother anymore as it's not as bad. After a seizure she is still hyper, but not as much as when she was younger. She paces a lot, jumps up on us and drinks tons of water. We put lots of towels on the floor and comfort her.

I will tell you the game changer for Phoebe....CBD oil. A couple of years ago she was having a bad run and going just 2 months between seizures, and as I'm sure you've learned, anything more than 4 seizures a year, or more than one seizure per 3 month period is too much. Four seizures a year that are spaced out is considered "good control". Also seizures that are longer than a couple of minutes are concerning as well, though we've never had to deal with that....Phoebe's are always less than 2 minutes in duration. Anyway, since starting Phoebe on the CBD oil (in addition to her potassium bromide).....we have only had a few seizures....she's been going 7-8 months between episodes, which is the best we've ever achieved for her. Literally night and day. It's not cheap....a 36 day supply for her is a bit over $200, but it's been incredible. I buy it directly through Elle Vet Sciences. The dosage is higher for epilepsy than it is for mobility issues in dogs, so definitely discuss with your vet.

Having Epilepsy has not impacted Phoebe's overall life in any way. She's an incredible dog, and by far the smartest of the six we've had over the years. Also, our girl never had an MRI. She didn't have any symptoms of a tumor and so she was just started on potassium bromide. She gets the level checked occasionally...usually during her annual visit. We did have a neurologist for Phoebe early on, but honestly, it was unnecessary as our regular vet handles it beautifully. I would ask your Vet if you couldn't just start your girl on potassium bromide and go from there. Some dogs I know take a combination of potassium bromide and phenobarbital (which is a sedative as well). Some vets like to avoid putting them on phenobarbital on a regular basis as it can be tough on their liver. If she continues to have really hyper behavior after her seizures or "postictal behavior".....perhaps they could prescribe a fast acting sedative to give as needed. Hope this helps!

We have a 3 year old doodle with epilepsy. Last weekend one of his litter mates had a seizure also, so I posted this recap in our private Facebook page...
Rider had his first at the very end of March last year. Then another a few weeks later. Then in mid May he had one two nights in a row. He had already had bloodwork in April, and they figured it was probably epilepsy. But after May, we took him to a canine neurologist. They did more blood work and a neuro work up, and same answer. Because of his age and breed mix, it's epilepsy.
At that point they put him on Phenobarbitol, which worked great. No more seizures and no side effects. We did follow up bloodwork at the end of July, to check his pheno levels, and the doctor called me with the results in a panic. His white count was so low, they were thinking he now had an autoimmune disorder. We had to very quickly but very carefully, get him off the pheno, and onto another drug, to see if the pheno was causing it. It was, the new meds put his white count back where it should be whew!
Then in early October, they came back. They wanted no more than once every 3 months, but he has had 7 in 4 months. First they doubled his meds. That did not help, so then they added in another med. They checked his levels of that med, and they wanted them higher, so they super loaded him for five days on that one too, then brought it back down to double what he started at. That didn't sit well with his poor tummy, but he seems to be adjusting now to that. I have to take him back to check his levels again, to see if they are higher. This med can take 3-4 months to get to a level in their system where it fully works, so no one is panicked yet. Today, knock on wood, is 5 weeks since his last one, and that is the longest stretch since they came back, so we are crossing all fingers and toes.
He is totally fine when he is not having one, he bounces back quickly. His side effects from this new heavier dose seem to be dialing back too. Not gonna lie though, I worry about him all day every day. This is now our second dog with seizures, but the neuro thinks our other dog had a brain tumor likely, when I told her his story.

I guess it was two weeks ago that I wrote that, because if he makes it through tonight, he will 7 weeks since his last one, which is twice as long as he has gone since they started up again. He is currently on a HUGE dose of Keppra XR and Potassium Bromide. I am thinking the Keppra isn't doing anything, but they won't consider weaning off of that until he has gone months without one.
He does not get manic after his, it takes about 10-15 minutes before he can stand up after, then he wants to go out, then he comes back up and we all go back to bed.
We tried CBD oil, maybe it was the one we had, but it did nothing. We hoped if it didn't help those, it would at least help his restless sleep (he has always had that issue), he tosses and turns so much during the night, I don't get much sleep. It did not help that either.

I guess it was two weeks ago that I wrote that, because if he makes it through tonight, he will 7 weeks since his last one, which is twice as long as he has gone since they started up again. He is currently on a HUGE dose of Keppra XR and Potassium Bromide. I am thinking the Keppra isn't doing anything, but they won't consider weaning off of that until he has gone months without one.
He does not get manic after his, it takes about 10-15 minutes before he can stand up after, then he wants to go out, then he comes back up and we all go back to bed.
We tried CBD oil, maybe it was the one we had, but it did nothing. We hoped if it didn't help those, it would at least help his restless sleep (he has always had that issue), he tosses and turns so much during the night, I don't get much sleep. It did not help that either.

I'm sorry to hear CBD oil didn't help. I have read/researched that the quality varies greatly and so we went with the one that our Vet recommended. I have seen CBD oils that are far, far cheaper, but they are likely diluted...etc. I was skeptical at first when he recommended it....thinking it was just another supplement type deal. The difference was so profound and so with no other meds in the mix, we knew it was the CBD.

The one newer issue we've had with Phoebe's epilepsy is that one of our other dogs began to attack her when she was having the seizure. Our six year old miniature schnauzer is very prey driven, and over time something clicked in Sadie's head to literally attack her best friend when she was unconscious. We learned that this is actually quite common in multiple dog households when one is epileptic. We had to separate them at night and when we weren't home at first, because it was dangerous. However, over time, Phoebe's seizures were further apart and now always happen at night when we're sleeping. Our third dog, another miniature schnauzer gets upset by the seizure and the imminent attack and so she barks like a maniac to wake us up. It was so upsetting to all of the dogs to separate them, so this is the solution that works best for us. Zuzu, dog #3 is our "Phoebe is having a seizure" alarm system.

It's so funny....I remember being a kid in the 70s when dogs and cats seemingly just roamed free everywhere. There were hardly ever visits to the vet...etc. Now we twist our lives like pretzels to accommodate the dogs. :).

I'm sorry to hear CBD oil didn't help. I have read/researched that the quality varies greatly and so we went with the one that our Vet recommended. I have seen CBD oils that are far, far cheaper, but they are likely diluted...etc. I was skeptical at first when he recommended it....thinking it was just another supplement type deal. The difference was so profound and so with no other meds in the mix, we knew it was the CBD.

The one newer issue we've had with Phoebe's epilepsy is that one of our other dogs began to attack her when she was having the seizure. Our six year old miniature schnauzer is very prey driven, and over time something clicked in Sadie's head to literally attack her best friend when she was unconscious. We learned that this is actually quite common in multiple dog households when one is epileptic. We had to separate them at night and when we weren't home at first, because it was dangerous. However, over time, Phoebe's seizures were further apart and now always happen at night when we're sleeping. Our third dog, another miniature schnauzer gets upset by the seizure and the imminent attack and so she barks like a maniac to wake us up. It was so upsetting to all of the dogs to separate them, so this is the solution that works best for us. Zuzu, dog #3 is our "Phoebe is having a seizure" alarm system.

It's so funny....I remember being a kid in the 70s when dogs and cats seemingly just roamed free everywhere. There were hardly ever visits to the vet...etc. Now we twist our lives like pretzels to accommodate the dogs. :).
Our other dog comes over to see what's going on, then she leaves. Although one night she got up and left the bed in the middle of the night, minutes before, so we thought maybe she might have sensed that one.
They are definitely less severe on meds than the ones he had before he started the meds. He had one so bad in May, I wondered if it would stop. I have never seen one where his eyes rolled back in his head before that one.
Would you mind sending me a PM with the CBD oil info for the one you use?

We have a 12 yo female German Shepard that began to experience seizures in December. They started small, but since then she’s had multiple grand mail seizures. Almost every time she bites her tongue and bleeds 😥. She had a bad one this week where she voided her bladder and bowels, something that hasn’t happened before.

We took her to the vet a few days before Christmas after a wicked grad mal. Bloodwork said she had low insulin and something else. Due to her age, medication was not recommended, nor was surgery. Putting her down days before/after Christmas wasn’t an option either. ‘Sorry kids but your dog is dead’ doesn’t scream Merry Christmas, ya know? Our vet told us to make her comfortable, give her Karo Syrup (which she hates) or a sweet treat daily, and hope for as long as possible. She enjoys her daily mini donut and two months later is still with us.

When she’s experiencing a seizure our three year old female German Shepard is there licking her face, trying to comfort her. There’s not much we can do but let it run it’s course. Although we do try to give her a dose Karo Syrup.

Good luck. Hopefully things will improve.

Wow! I learned so much from all of your posts. Thank you very much for taking the time to share. I'm going to bookmark this. And love to all of you whose dogs are experiencing this.

Our beagle started having seizures when he was about 18 months old, initially vet said see how he goes as very infrequent. Once they started being more regular he had tests except MRI which vet said are costly and wouldn't change anything if it was a tumour as he wouldn't advise on operating. Dog had to undergo regular bloods to check kidneys due to the meds. Dog would be very unsettled after seizure and wander round. Eventually brain would settle and he would be back to his normal self. The dog normally had seizures during the night

He was given Keppra along with a couple of other drugs but it didn't do anything so vet was happy to stop giving that. Dog lived a happy life until year before last.

I would love to know what brand CBD oil you used also! PM me if you'd like. I just started a thread about our dogs seizures not knowing this one existed. I'm trying to get my daughter to try CBD with him!

I would love to know what brand CBD oil you used also! PM me if you'd like. I just started a thread about our dogs seizures not knowing this one existed. I'm trying to get my daughter to try CBD with him!

No problem! Elle Vet Sciences CBD oil. https://www.ellevetsciences.com

Make sure to check in with your veterinarian on dosage....it's typically more than is needed for mobility or anxiety issues.

We have a three year old mixed breed who is in perfect health, aside from seizures (she shakes uncontrollably and pees, drools etc). Last summer she had her first. Then a couple of months later, another. The vet advised us that putting her on meds would mean she would always need to be on them, so we waited. The seizures came more frequently (two in one night) so she was put on Zonisamide (100 mg). The vet also ran a bunch of tests (liver, kidney, blood etc etc), which all came back normal. She's been on the meds 2-3 weeks now. Picture of health, but she always is between seizures. Last night she had a seizure--first one while also on the meds. But this time, her behavior drove us nuts. Instead of going back to normal, she ran around and kept us up all night. She did not seem in distress, just excited. Like she wanted attention and to get petted. I will call the vet later, but have to work today so it's going to be hard. I don't plan on taking her there as she seems like an effervescent healthy dog so not sure what they would check. I'm curious as to people's experiences with their dogs having seizures while on meds. Did they still get them with anti seizure medication? Also, our next step is an MRI to see if she has a brain tumor. Vet said this is rare (plus she has no head tilt or other symptoms) but I'm at my wit's end trying to understand what could be going on.
Just checking in to see how your dog is doing?

Just saw this on the news today. We don't have any pets, but there are a lot of reports about Soresto possibly causing issues.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...harm-pets-humans-epa-records-show/4574753001/
Thank you very much for asking. She has been on the meds since mid February. I have been very strict giving them to her every 12 hours, but is still having seizures at a rate of around once every two weeks. She had a terrible one the other day. My poor teen daughter had a small breakdown after, it's traumatizing for anyone to see but especially hard on her('her' dog). Dog is perfectly fine afterwards every time though. I had called the doctor last time and they said it could still happen on the meds. It's like everything is perfect and then bam! Seizure and we are all jolted back to reality. We aren't going to take her for the scan to see if she has a brain tour though :(.

Thank you - I saw it also on the news. I really feel these flea and tick meds are what is causing so many seizures....
I agree! Years ago our dogs had ticks and the vet prescribed a very strong flea/tick med (forget the name but it was a liquid you put on their backs). Killed the ticks almost immediately so we continued it. Our older dog had a massive seizure then another a month later. Discontinued the tick med and she never had another seizure. This young dog we have now was on NexGuard. Our other dog has zero issues but we immediately stopped giving this one the Nexguard just in case. She is still having the seizures (as you know) so it wasn't that. But I would encourage anyone else to look into their flea/tick meds if their dog is suddenly having issues like our old dog was. We were so lucky it was the med with our other dog, unfortunately not this time :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter