DVC Direct Member Benefits Digital Card Questions

starsaber25

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone. I have some questions about direct member benefits DVC Y vs. resale member DVC ND. I have been reading a lot on this forum and searching through facebook groups. Is it just me or is the direct member benefits stuff all over the place? This is not to start any contention but it seems like at any given second, on any certain day, at any day that could possibly end in Y, a DVC ND member can receive dining or shopping discounts and even at times purchase the sorcerer's pass.

So what are you actually supposed to do as a direct member when purchasing things and trying to get the discounts? Are you supposed to just show you're a DVC member in the MDE app? Are you just supposed to show the "backside" of your digital card showing the DVC Y? What are cast members actually asking for? Is there ever a time when the QR code is supposed to get scanned?

I have kind of seen answers all over the place. I've seen people say that the CM just wanted to see their affiliation to DVC in the MDE app. I've seen people say they ask for the "backside" of the digital card showing DVC Y. I've seen people say that they have even shown CM that they are DVC ND and still get the discounts. I've seen people say they just stick to mobile ordering for everything and apparently they get discounts automatically whether they are Y or ND.

Many people purchase direct just so they can get the "blue card benefits." But at the same time it seems like more often then not resale members can just get the discounts most of the time. Maybe not moonlight magic or the sorcerer's pass but certainly the dining and merchandise discounts. I read that one of the main reasons they did away with the actual blue card was because people were sharing or photoshopping cards? But at the same time couldn't someone just change their ND to a Y on their digital card and pass it off as if they are direct? It is almost like disney is attempted to show they are differentiating direct vs resale for the discounts but overall they do not really care what happens in the end?

Anyway, after a lot of reading these are some of the thoughts that were going through my mind. For the most part what has anyone experienced from CM's when they ask for proof for benefits for dining, merchandise, APs etc?

We're also asked most times (not all) to verify DVC-Y with the digital card for meals and merchandise.

Not sure how someone might 'change' ND to Y on their own.......

You could always show them the Y and tell them "make sure you check this so jerks like jaymarkm stop getting discounts" hahaha. Seriously though, no shame in my getting discounts game. Usually get them, always happy to, Disney is so freaking nickel and dime these days that I'll keep every dollar I can.

There's no simple answer.

If it's a location that only uses visual verification (shopping, dining discount), it's entirely possible that the CM does not know enough to actually look for the "DVC Y" notation. Any indication of DVC may slide right through.

For things like Moonlight Magic, ticket purchases and lounge access, CMs should be better trained and/or eligibility is more strictly linked to the member's online accounts.

Some locations are starting to scan the QR code on the digital ID, which is more accurate than visual confirmation. I would expect this to continue to expand.

If you have direct points, you'll get access to everything. For those who are not eligible for Membership Extras, it will be more hit and miss. I'm not going to say that Disney will never give them 10% off lunch or sell them the Sorcerer pass. But it's certainly not guaranteed and there's zero room to complain when discounts aren't extended.

We're also asked most times (not all) to verify DVC-Y with the digital card for meals and merchandise.

Not sure how someone might 'change' ND to Y on their own.......

So in your experience you would bring up your digital wallet and show them the the screen of the "backside" of your card?

You could always show them the Y and tell them "make sure you check this so jerks like jaymarkm stop getting discounts" hahaha. Seriously though, no shame in my getting discounts game. Usually get them, always happy to, Disney is so freaking nickel and dime these days that I'll keep every dollar I can.

Ha no way. Anyone who can get any type of savings anywhere at Disney deserves them.

For things like Moonlight Magic, ticket purchases and lounge access, CMs should be better trained and/or eligibility is more strictly linked to the member's online accounts.

Some locations are starting to scan the QR code on the digital ID, which is more accurate than visual confirmation. I would expect this to continue to expand.

So for Moonlight magic, APs and lounges are the CM's doing something different then the CM's at the dining halls? Or are you just saying they are more diligent or should be more diligent? They are all still just asking to see the DVC Y?

Ok so you are the first person I have seen say that they are scanning QR codes. If you are a Y does it do something different then if you are a ND? Does it chime like a slot machine? Is there different colors on the screen? Does it just show the CM that you are eligible?

Some areas are lax. Spas, lounges, tickets have been consistently strict with us. The rest has not. Sometimes I forget to ask in the first place. It’s kind of a pain remembering to dig it out every single transaction. I wish they made it easier - like just let us attach a payment to DVC-Y verification and when you use that the discount gets applied where eligible. I realize it sounds dumb to say it is a pain - but it is! Because in the context of WDW it feels like you’re always digging through your phone for something. Over and over and over. They’ve made the experience so tedious from what was the MB/FP+ era. Exaggeration? Maybe/not really 🤣

As far as decisions to buy direct/resale, yes it makes no sense to spend thousands extra to get a discount when not spending thousands extra still gets discounts more often than not anyway. These are long term purchases though. Depending what a buyer wants, sometimes direct is not much difference in ownership cost. The direct benefits are not only the discounts, but there is peace of mind buying direct you won’t have to worry if discount loophole gets closed in 18 months.

So for Moonlight magic, APs and lounges are the CM's doing something different then the CM's at the dining halls? Or are you just saying they are more diligent or should be more diligent? They are all still just asking to see the DVC Y?
For Moonlight Magic, the registration process is the first place where DVC restricts non-eligible members. At check in, they scan the MB of the member noted on the registration as the one checking in for the event. They have custom software on the device which pulls up the event registration.

For the Epcot Lounge, they scan the members MB. Here they also use custom software that pulls up your membership info when checking for the lounge.

They very much care for the EPCOT lounge. We used to get Top of the World lounge access with white card--I believe it used to be included even for resale folks (though I'm not sure it is anymore).

Frontline employees (giftshop cashiers and servers) tend to be working on a timer, and so my assumption is that it's usually not worth their time to argue with a customer over 10%.

They very much care for the EPCOT lounge. We used to get Top of the World lounge access with white card--I believe it used to be included even for resale folks (though I'm not sure it is anymore).
We’ve only visited TotW once since it reopened and they were pleasant yet strict about DVC-Y. They want the blue card and they want the blue card member present. We saw 2 parties try and then leave. One had a family member in their room with blue card but couldn’t get viewing access without that person.

We visited DL lounge and they were very strict. We had phone issues (DH pocket dialed a black screen 🤣🤣) and I hadn’t set up my own DVC account yet. He recently changed his PW and couldn’t remember it. CMs were super kind but wouldn’t budge. They couldn’t use our DL Hotel reservation or anything like that; they needed that digital card. One CM had worked for Apple and helped DH get back into his phone. She deserves a medal!

We’ve only visited TotW once since it reopened and they were pleasant yet strict about DVC-Y. They want the blue card and they want the blue card member present. We saw 2 parties try and then leave. One had a family member in their room with blue card but couldn’t get viewing access without that person.

We visited DL lounge and they were very strict. We had phone issues (DH pocket dialed a black screen 🤣🤣) and I hadn’t set up my own DVC account yet. He recently changed his PW and couldn’t remember it. CMs were super kind but wouldn’t budge. They couldn’t use our DL Hotel reservation or anything like that; they needed that digital card. One CM had worked for Apple and helped DH get back into his phone. She deserves a medal!
Such a bummer that we can't get there anymore. We actually tried to buy direct instead at CCV the day before the minimum point requirement was set to go up from 75 to 100, but the salespeople (probably trying to get a higher commission) were adamant that it needed to be 100. We're a military family and half of the DVC discounts you can get with military discount + Chase Visa (and of course, the Chase Visa used to have its own lounge) so we figured it wasn't worth it at that point.

That's correct. They scan the QR code at DL, so the digital card in the wallet is the only way you're getting in. Plus, they now require a photo ID as well as the digital card. That makes me happy.

So in your experience you would bring up your digital wallet and show them the the screen of the "backside" of your card?
In the wallet, there's an "I" for information with the card. I've been asked many times to press the "i" which verifies DVC-Y. If that's what you mean by the backside? I don't know if all digital wallets present the same - ours is iPhone.

Such a bummer that we can't get there anymore. We actually tried to buy direct instead at CCV the day before the minimum point requirement was set to go up from 75 to 100, but the salespeople (probably trying to get a higher commission) were adamant that it needed to be 100. We're a military family and half of the DVC discounts you can get with military discount + Chase Visa (and of course, the Chase Visa used to have its own lounge) so we figured it wasn't worth it at that point.
Yeah we were bummed too. Thought we would finally get to go after we bought resale and then it changed after reopening. Then we bought direct. You could try having a drink at Cali Grill lounge or something like that too.

Perk programs are not covered by member dues. So these benefits all exist literally as an incentive for members to purchase direct points.

I often roll my eyes whenever people (non-specifically) gripe about DVC member perks getting worse. Yes things like DME and Extra Magic Hours have changed over the years. But those aren't DVC perks, they were resort benefits offered to all guests. (And DME didn't debut until 2005, so many people were frequent WDW guests before that appeared.)

As for DVC, when we purchased in 2003, the list of discounted restaurants included about 20-25 locations across all WDW. There were modest discounts backstage tours, spa services, waterspouts rentals and mini-golf.

The two things which come to mind which were actually lost over the years were valet parking and the golf membership. Members used to get free valet parking at all deluxe resorts. Gratuity was expected, though members reportedly weren't the best about tipping. And when Disney still owned and operated the golf courses, members could buy an annual discount pass which offered some nice price reduction off the normal rate.

What perks weren't offered prior to 2010-ish? Well, pretty much every other perk we have today including:
  • Moonlight Magic
  • Private members-only lounges
  • Annual pass discount / access to Sorcerer pass
  • 20% merchandise discount
  • 10% discount at almost every table service restaurant
  • Discounts for after hours parties (Disney After Hours, MNSSHP, etc)
  • Exclusive photo spots at after hours parties
  • Halloween / Christmas / Valentine's Day "meet n treat" events
  • Kiosk giveaways like magic band sliders, collectible coins, magnets
DVC is funding all of these items. And they aren't doing it as some magnanimous "thank you" to owners. They exist to help promote new point sales. To sway people to buy into DVC in the first place, and to choose direct over resale.

Some of these perks are also available to groups like Passholders and Disney Visa cardholders. But I expect DVC to continue investing in things like the lounges and Moonlight Magic. Things that they can put in front of prospective members and say "you only get this if you buy from me!"

Are they reason enough to buy points at the Cabins for $200+ apiece vs Hilton Head resale for $70? No, of course not. But the math works differently, depending upon resort, contract duration and the buyers' preferences. And FOMO can be a powerful thing. Skeptics will correctly point out that things like the Sorcerer pass are not guaranteed to exist down the road. But right now, a family of 4 looking to visit enough to justify an annual pass will save about $1800 per year over buying the Incredipass.

Perk programs are not covered by member dues. So these benefits all exist literally as an incentive for members to purchase direct points.

I often roll my eyes whenever people (non-specifically) gripe about DVC member perks getting worse. Yes things like DME and Extra Magic Hours have changed over the years. But those aren't DVC perks, they were resort benefits offered to all guests. (And DME didn't debut until 2005, so many people were frequent WDW guests before that appeared.)

As for DVC, when we purchased in 2003, the list of discounted restaurants included about 20-25 locations across all WDW. There were modest discounts backstage tours, spa services, waterspouts rentals and mini-golf.

The two things which come to mind which were actually lost over the years were valet parking and the golf membership. Members used to get free valet parking at all deluxe resorts. Gratuity was expected, though members reportedly weren't the best about tipping. And when Disney still owned and operated the golf courses, members could buy an annual discount pass which offered some nice price reduction off the normal rate.

What perks weren't offered prior to 2010-ish? Well, pretty much every other perk we have today including:
  • Moonlight Magic
  • Private members-only lounges
  • Annual pass discount / access to Sorcerer pass
  • 20% merchandise discount
  • 10% discount at almost every table service restaurant
  • Discounts for after hours parties (Disney After Hours, MNSSHP, etc)
  • Exclusive photo spots at after hours parties
  • Halloween / Christmas / Valentine's Day "meet n treat" events
  • Kiosk giveaways like magic band sliders, collectible coins, magnets
DVC is funding all of these items. And they aren't doing it as some magnanimous "thank you" to owners. They exist to help promote new point sales. To sway people to buy into DVC in the first place, and to choose direct over resale.

Some of these perks are also available to groups like Passholders and Disney Visa cardholders. But I expect DVC to continue investing in things like the lounges and Moonlight Magic. Things that they can put in front of prospective members and say "you only get this if you buy from me!"

Are they reason enough to buy points at the Cabins for $200+ apiece vs Hilton Head resale for $70? No, of course not. But the math works differently, depending upon resort, contract duration and the buyers' preferences. And FOMO can be a powerful thing. Skeptics will correctly point out that things like the Sorcerer pass are not guaranteed to exist down the road. But right now, a family of 4 looking to visit enough to justify an annual pass will save about $1800 per year over buying the Incredipass.
Fair point! The biggest difference is newer resorts will have resale restrictions going forward. For plenty of people, that won't be much of a deterrent because the cost savings of resale is still too good.

At first when they announced I thought it was annoying but the more I think about it...we rarely stay anywhere but our home resort anyway (whether we want to or not, due to difficulty booking anything else at the 7m mark).

People will start really feeling it when contracts are up for renewal at popular resorts like Boulder Ridge!

In the wallet, there's an "I" for information with the card. I've been asked many times to press the "i" which verifies DVC-Y. If that's what you mean by the backside? I don't know if all digital wallets present the same - ours is iPhone.
Thank you thanxfornoticin - I kept wondering what people meant by the "backside" and how I could see this Y thing... you explained how to see it. I was also worried that you can only pick one card, so should I pick the DVC card or the AP card - now it doesn't matter - the "i" shows both affiliations...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter