Am I missing something? Why private transportation?

Like you OP, we only use taxi or Uber/Lyft. Two of us, but we do have sizeable luggage (we travel for a long trip) and never had an issue with it fitting.

Taxi is honestly the easiest as you just walk up and grab one, but more expensive! But if we see surge pricing, we just head for taxi stand if it's cheaper.

Normally we arrive around 10:30 am or so. This trip we arrive night before and we are probably checking out of airport hotel and heading to hotel around 8:30 or 9:00 am. Curious to see how difficult to get an Uber/Lyft.

I have done both the private transport and the UBER/Lyft option. It depends who I am travelling with which option I choose. In march, I used UBER since I was solo and it was quick and easy. For my return trip to the airport, the uber driver never even got out of the car ---- opened the back of her SUV and Bell Services loaded my bag and I took it out at the airport. On the other hand, last September and this September, I have my parents who are in their 80s. So 3 people, 3 suitcases, 3-4 carry-ons or backpacks, 2 canes, 1 wheelchair, and 1 rollator. Felt like saying and a partridge in a pear tree. But the other stuff was already enough! I did not want to mess around with an uber as I knew I was going to need a bit vehicle and a lot of help with all this stuff plus them. Between the airport wheelchair assistance at the airport (Bell Services at the resort) and the driver, we got all the stuff organized and loaded. It cost more but the assistance was so needed!

I think it's a higher level of customer service. The private transportation drivers are waiting for you as you exit security, they'll help with your bags, and are usually parked in the closest lot to baggage claim. Plus many of them will do a grocery stop, and they can help with things like car seats or scooters. It's definitely nice to have, but for two adults who are able to easily grab their own luggage, it's definitely a luxury.

5 humans plus luggage makes uber/lyft a challenge. We've done the bus (Sunshine Flyer/Mears) the last two years but honestly, the price difference isn't huge so we might do private transportation this time to shorten the transit time. Our flight leaves at 5:40 so everyone will likely be tired and a little cranky- and will perk up once they walk into MK before noon but all the extra schlepping and waiting for Mears might not be the best in this situation.

As an international traveller I prefer public or Uber/Lyft over private. Because I get anxious about whether or not my phone will work in the new country either to call or to text the private car company, or sometimes to have wifi/data to order an Uber/Lyft. Can the driver find me, am I in the right meeting spot at the airport?

Other ground (public) transportation options have a fixed spot at the airport, I can usually find on Youtube videos of what to expect.

Out of all the times I've been to Disney, I've never used private transportation. That is about to change for our next trip in January with our 2.5yr old son. We decided to go private for a few reasons.

1. If the little man isn't having a good day, last thing I want to do is be on a bus for longer than needed. I want to get to the hotel as soon as possible.

2. Taxi/Uber/Lyft do not appeal to us for the chance of getting someone sketchy or without a child seat.

3. Travelling with 2 adults and 1 child so we will have lots of luggage. Probably 3 suitcases, 3 or 4 carry ons, plus a stroller. We need the room of a SUV or van.

4. I dont want to rely on the buses being late or crammed back to the airport. I can chose the time I want to be picked up with private transportation.

For these reasons, we've chosen to go with GearFusion. With the promo code I found, Its going to be a total of about $190 including taxes and tip. The option to chose pickup times, direct trip with no stops, and help with luggage is well worth it for us. Should be interesting since we have always rode with the Magical Express so will be something new for us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter