Air back home after cruise

jimim

DIS Veteran
last piece of puzzle. air. so what is your opinion on safe time to fly out of eco if taking Disney transfers back to mco from the port?

I want to be safe cause we are checking bags and security can get pretty long. we don't "fast pass" security.

thanks all,
jimi

The earliest recommended time to fly out is 12:00 or later so we follow that guideline. MCO can be very busy and I don’t want to stress when I’m leaving the ship.

While Disney does an amazing job to getting you TO the airport, MCO can be a mess with security lines AT the airport. We barely made a 12:35 pm flight even though Disney had us at MCO at 10:15 am and we had checked our bag and had our boarding pass and were in the security line by 10:30 am. Almost a 90 minute wait to get through security, not sure why so our flight was already boarding by the time we got to the gate.
Last time we were through MCO was on a WDW trip with Disney transfers in 2017 and Disney's guidelines were we needed to be at MCO 3 hours before flight time, so apparently delays were still common enough then that they wanted to be sure you got there on time.

MCO was a mess after my last cruise. Took over half an hour to check my bag with Southwest. TSA lines can also be huge. The “problem” is, it all depends on the day and airline you fly. You’re better off spending an extra hour waiting for your flight at the gate than stressed out in a line in a packed airport. Noon seems reasonable. Unless you only have carry ons and TSA Pre/Clear.

Last year, we found a way to get a reserved spot in the TSA line - free, at MCO. Not Pre-Chek. It is done by the trip.

https://www.clearme.com/reserve

Check it out - it might really help speed you through security.

(Ironically, the day my niece was going to use it (the others had Pre-Chek), the lines were short on the regular side and she didn’t need the time saver.)

I follow the cruise-line recommendation, which ends up with a mid-afternoon flight to/ through ATL.

The earliest recommended time to fly out is 12:00 or later so we follow that guideline. MCO can be very busy and I don’t want to stress when I’m leaving the ship.
yah we fly out of there 3 times a year. a few weeks ago at 4 am we waited for tea for over 45 mins

im booking a 3 PM or later flight home to be safe. sounds stupid I think but I'm assuming I don't get to mco till 12 with the 9 of us.

does that sound crazy?
No, sounds like you’re playing it safe. I couldn’t do it because wasting time at an airport is worse than pulling teeth to me, but if it brings you peace then it is worth the wait.

im booking a 3 PM or later flight home to be safe. sounds stupid I think but I'm assuming I don't get to mco till 12 with the 9 of us.

does that sound crazy?
Nope, if it brings you peace. Some destinations it’s only early morning or night flights; maybe be happy you got that as an option.

You may be early and need to chill or you will be just right. MCO is a roll of the dice. Even the PRE lines are busy. That airport stresses me out. I would rather have time to kill than running for the gate. You have a large party of people. I think you are good.

does that sound crazy?
You'll be at MCO well before noon, but with a large group I certainly understand building the extra time in to allow for baggage check, security, etc. without rushing. Or worrying. Enjoy your cruise!

does that sound crazy?

You could always book a couple day use rooms at the Hyatt if it's an obnoxiously long wait.

We did a day room at the Hyatt a few week ago because the only direct flights for us are either at 8 in the morning or 7 at night. The day room was really nice to have. The only problem is that you still have to deal with security lines. The lines were basically an hour for pre and regular about 70 mins. After a week at WDW it was just another line...

We did a day room at the Hyatt a few week ago because the only direct flights for us are either at 8 in the morning or 7 at night. The day room was really nice to have. The only problem is that you still have to deal with security lines. The lines were basically an hour for pre and regular about 70 mins. After a week at WDW it was just another line...
Did you use the pool area?? Wondering if there are bathrooms, I’ve been out there wondering around taking pictures but didn’t look for that. Trying to decide whether to cram 4 adults into 1 room with 1 bathroom. I do know where the lobby bathrooms are located.

Between noon and 1 pm is the perfect time. For someone who needs to check bags and doesn't have precheck, that's the earliest I would book.

Did you use the pool area?? Wondering if there are bathrooms, I’ve been out there wondering around taking pictures but didn’t look for that. Trying to decide whether to cram 4 adults into 1 room with 1 bathroom. I do know where the lobby bathrooms are located.
You might want to check out Our Z Roll on YouTube, they did a pre-cruise hotel stay and tour at the Hyatt. I'm pretty sure the pool was close to the gym with a locker room.

I ended up booking a 156 pm flight. Cause anything later was like 300 a ticket more. So it’s done. We have decent layovers so my parents don’t have to sprint. So the only stress will be boat to airport. lol. We are in parks before the cruise so getting there I don’t really care about. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter