Good thing the girls were still little! 3 in those seats was probably tight! But those are the "good" cars in my oppinion. It is akward to share food and talk in.
Yes, thank goodness the girls were small and could squeeze in! I'm not sure how they would have sat an adult party of 7, they likely would have a single person by themselves, unless I was missing a larger seating option somewhere in the restaurant. If you're a party of 4 do they put strangers in the car with you?
I get it but why? Why does Disney make things so complicated.
I don't get this one! I can understand removing the souvenir ice cubes (like they remove the pineapple if you want the drink at O'hana), but since it's the same price as other drinks, it's confusing to me.
Probably! We weren't near one and it was fine.
That's good to know! I think I just had an unlucky seat with that thing right by my ear.
Love Frozen sing along so much! There is something for everyone in this show.
Yes there is! They do a great job of balancing entertainment for both kids and adults in that show (as Disney does well with in general).
That's a meet I haven't done yet but it looks fun!
It was our first time doing this meet! We hadn't planned it in advance, but it seemed popular based on the line.
This is a great picture of all of you!
Thank you!
It sure is a lot of food! The nachos look really good. :)
I would get the nachos as my meal next time!
We did the Fantasmic package this past trip and waaaay too much food for the 3 of us especially since we share so many things!
We were able to get appetizers and dessert. 2 apps and 1 dessert split by all 3 of us.
It feels like a waste of food! Good to know you could swap a dessert, splitting that way makes sense.
The price was hard to swallow compared to when Andi and I go and share everything but really worth it when we got premium seats at Fantasmic and didn’t have to show up super early!
So true. We could have had a much cheaper meal splitting just appetizers and drinks. But we were so glad to have the guaranteed middle seats at Fantasmic, that's really what you're paying for.
It seems really weird the Oreo drink wasn’t included when the same price :confused3
I'm still confused by this one. I could certainly understand if it were more expensive, or if they wanted to leave out the souvenir glow sticks, but it seemed odd that the server was trying to convince me to pay another $17 on top of an already expensive package to get something that should have been included.

Sci-Fi Dine-In, Part 2​

The girls both ordered the kids macaroni & cheese, which came with two sides. Fries were not listed as a side option for the kids, but they were an option for my meal. Fries are DD9’s favorite food so I told her I’d get fries so she could have mine. Our server overhead this and said he could do fries as a side for the kids, so both kids picked fries and fruit as their sides. DD9 helped me out with food photography for the front row.

Sci Fi8.jpg

I ordered the Flying Saucer Impossible Burger (grilled plant-based burger, grilled portobello mushroom, “cashew-mozarella”, garlic-tomato “aioli”, nut-free pesto, lettuce and tomato). I asked for it without the portobello mushroom but they put it on anyway (there was a pattern there as my app had also come with the cilantro I asked to skip). It would normally have been $2 to upgrade to onion rings as the side instead of fries, but our server told me it was all included since I was on the dining plan. Since DD9 was able to add fries as her sides, I went for the onion rings. But I did not need any more onion rings after the appetizers!

Sci Fi14.jpg

This was really good, but I was already so full. I felt like I had ordered two full entrees between this and the nachos. I ate about half of it and just a couple of onion rings. I really liked the vegan cheese and aioli. There was something weird about the texture, and that’s when I realized (because it was so dark) that they had put mushrooms on the burger even though I asked for it without. I don’t dislike the taste of mushrooms, I dislike the texture. Once I pulled those off, the burger was much better.

My dad ordered the Grilled Chicken Citrus Salad (romaine lettuce, spinach, and arugula, tossed with rainbow tomatoes, tomatoes, candied pecans, cranberries, and feta cheese (no feta on his, please, which it looks like they honored), topped with grilled marinated chicken and a house-made citrus vinaigrette, $19). I’m now convinced maybe our server just couldn’t hear me as well when I ordered, maybe due to the speakers right by me?

Sci Fi15.jpg

My dad said this was really good, and I think he was the smart one, ordering a lighter meal after our heavy appetizers.

My Mom and MIL both ordered the Classic American Burger (signature blend of beef with house-made burger sauce, applewood-smoked bacon, American cheese, shredded lettuce, and marinated heirloom tomato served on a brioche bun, $23). You’ll see theirs looked a little different even though it was the same dish.

Sci Fi17.jpg
Sci Fi18.jpg

My mom said it was very messy to eat because the bun was soaked with sauce and falling apart. She said it was good but way too much food. My MIL also said it was way too much food, but the burger was so good, she finished it. That says a lot about how much she liked the burger!

Pat went with our server’s recommendation and ordered the Pesto Penne Pasta with Chicken (chicken with penne pasta tossed in house-made pesto sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, rainbow cherry tomatoes, grilled artichoke hearts, onion and spinach, $26).

Sci Fi16.jpg

He said it was good, but he thought he would have liked it better with brighter lighting. It was a little weird for all of us to be eating in the dark (especially for some of the messier items). He said the char-grilled flavor of the artichoke was a nice complement to the acidity of the dish.

Overall, we all really enjoyed our food and the experience. It was fun to watch the movie clips (which cycled a few times while we were there, so the loop wasn’t very long, maybe 30 minutes or less?), and it was a unique way to enjoy a meal. My dad thought it was just okay, but the rest of us said we would go back.

DD7 said she didn’t like the movies because she thought it was going to be an actual movie, but it was just video clips, and most of them were “scary with monsters” but she does want to go back for the food. DD9 said she did like the movies. There were a few reviews that had me worried about the movie clips being too scary, but despite DD7’s assessment, they weren’t scary enough to make me wish we had skipped this. That said, if you have a younger child who is sensitive to scary content, I would look for a preview to decide if this is right for your family.

Sci Fi20.jpg

Towards the end of our meal, a new family sat next to us and had some kind of contraption at the front of their car. They had the same server as us, and he asked if that was a 360 camera. They said yes, and he politely asked them to turn it off, saying he preferred to not be recorded, and that he didn’t want to be in TikToks. The mom said she understood that, and they put the camera away. I was glad he said something (I didn’t want to be recorded while eating either) and was also glad that they respected the ask.

We finished eating at 1:03pm, which put this meal just over 1.5 hours. Our server brought out our tickets to Fantasmic for that night, and advised we get there 30-45 minutes ahead of the show. He explained the seating situation. It was just a guaranteed section, not specific reserved seats, and if we didn’t show up at least 30 minutes early, the section would be open to the general public, so make sure to get there early.

I don’t have the full breakdown for our parents’ meals, but for our family of 4, with all 4 Fantasmic packages, the 2 Oreo milkshakes and our 2 alcoholic drinks, our total was $210.86 with tax. We were able to use 4 TS dining credits to pay for the entire bill, so we only paid for the tip out of pocket. That put us at 3 of 16 adult TS used and 2 of 16 kids TS used.

When we left, we thought we’d go see the Indiana Jones show before heading back to our resort for a break. But when we arrived at the theater at 1:06pm for the 1:15pm show, there was a CM out front with a sign that said they were full to capacity. I wonder what time it had filled up.

Indiana Jones1.jpg

We were mildly disappointed but knew we could see the show when we came back to the park later in the week, so we headed back to our resort for some rest. We noted that we needed to get to this show much earlier the next HS day to ensure we would have seats.

Real Life Update

Did anyone check out the Northern Lights this weekend? We drove the girls out to a lookout point on Friday night where we could be away from any city lights. We couldn't see many colors with the naked eye (the sky looked only slightly red and purple at times) but we could see the light pillars as they moved. My iPhone camera picked up on more colors, it was really cool!

Northern Lights.jpg

If you're a party of 4 do they put strangers in the car with you?
Yup! But as far as I can remember, they put the party of 4 in the front and then the party of 2 behind us. We came once with a party of 8 and they sat us in cars side by side. Seating here must be such a pain.

DD9 helped me out with food photography for the front row.

Sci Fi8.jpg
Good Work! She is on her way to being a dis reporter.

instead of fries, but our server told me it was all included since I was on the dining plan.
All of this makes no sense...

Sci Fi15.jpg

My dad said this was really good, and I think he was the smart one, ordering a lighter meal after our heavy appetizers.
That does look good.

My mom said it was very messy to eat because the bun was soaked with sauce and falling apart. She said it was good but way too much food. My MIL also said it was way too much food, but the burger was so good, she finished it. That says a lot about how much she liked the burger!
Andy liked his when we went.

cary with monsters” but she does want to go back for the food. DD9 said she did like the movies. There were a few reviews that had me worried about the movie clips being too scary, but despite DD7’s assessment, they weren’t scary enough to make me wish we had skipped this. That said, if you have a younger child who is sensitive to scary content, I would look for a preview to decide if this is right for your family.
I never thougth about it but that makes sense.

minutes ahead of the show. He explained the seating situation. It was just a guaranteed section, not specific reserved seats, and if we didn’t show up at least 30 minutes early, the section would be open to the general public, so make sure to get there early.
That is crazy that they would open it up. What is the point then?

We were mildly disappointed but knew we could see the show when we came back to the park later in the week, so we headed back to our resort for some rest. We noted that we needed to get to this show much earlier the next HS day to ensure we would have seats.
Another one that shows that they ened more things!!!

Feels like you had a similar feel at HS as we did one day with Frozen and meeting Goofy :) And we had the same historians as you, they were GREAT.

I love the old pics of you and your DH with Goofy! Meant to be, haha.

Sci-fi looks good, we were full with just our regular meals there, so it would have been hard for us to have appies too. I did upgrade to the onion rings though, no regrets there.

Fun fact: Empress 1908 gin is actually made in our city, Victoria, BC!!! I was shocked to see it so far away.

Sorry, hit comment before reading the last post.

I found my burger at Sci-Fi dry and wish it had more sauce, haha, go figure, it seems inconsistent if nothing else.

Really love the family photo though!

I can't believe Indiana was full, amazing what they have going there since when I went first in 2008 it somehow seemed kind of dated then! I wanted to catch it this time, but we just ran out of time. I do think DD would have thought it was cool.

I just asked DD (6) what she thought of the videos at Sci-Fi. Quote "I did not like the videos, they were too boring, I just focused on eating my dinner" hahaha, so not scared at all at least.

Same thing happened at Indy with us, got there earlier the next time and were way in the back. Fills up!!

Didnt know DP worked so well for the package ticket seating like Fantasmic, sounds like a no-brainer if your on the plan!

I’m glad you got a chance to meet Goofy and Max! I’m always excited to see Goofy and Max would be a treat.

But, whew! You made it to your ADR! :scared:

Goodness, that’s so much food! I’m surprised there was confusion about the appetizers and desserts - MDE and the website are very clear that one appetizer or dessert is included with Fantasmic dining packages. It would’ve been nice to share a few appetizers and then the rest desserts so you weren’t so stuffed before your main meals.

Sci-Fi is a really cool space but I agree the food ranges from meh to good. It’s too bad you missed out on a milkshake - it was the best part of my meal a few years ago. I wonder if it was considered an alcoholic “dessert” and that’s why it didn’t count as a drink? Who knows.

I'm relieved you made your Goofy and Max meet along with lunch ADR.

We haven't eaten at Sci-Fi since 2002. I really need to go back there.

I think we could make a meal on just apps too, with deserts. Your food did look really good.

I have really fond memories of Sci-Fi with my dad. But not of the food. I mean...a burger is a burger in some ways but I always felt like I wanted more from this restaurant. That shake looked good though.

What a fun meet with Goofy and Max, and you still made Sci Fi!

I feel like the CMs expect the cars to be more popular than the picnic tables, so they express surprise when people are interested in them. At least, when we were late for our ADR we were told we could sit immediately but “only” if we were willing to sit at a picnic table instead of a car. Like no, facing our dining companions was not a hardship!

I’ve heard good things about the milkshakes at Sci Fi! Not sure we’ll go back our next time out, but if so we’ll be sure to prioritize those.

Very bizarre about Orbiting Oreos not being on the dining plan! It’s like somewhere, an accountant is throwing darts to decide what makes the cut!

The Northern Lights were beautiful Friday night. Living up north we can see it all with the naked eye, so beautiful!
You're so lucky!
Yup! But as far as I can remember, they put the party of 4 in the front and then the party of 2 behind us. We came once with a party of 8 and they sat us in cars side by side. Seating here must be such a pain.
That is interesting! Yes, it must be really hard to figure out seating there. I'm not sure what they would have done if our 7 didn't fit into one car.
Good Work! She is on her way to being a dis reporter.
I do think she'll be a future report writer! The girls helped me remember details to write this report and help me with picking pictures too. It's fun that they are into it, and I hope they appreciate having our trips all recorded when they're older.
All of this makes no sense...
None at all. I can't save you money by ordering the $17 drink without the souvenir lights but you'll let me add the $2 upgrade for free?
That is crazy that they would open it up. What is the point then?
I know! I guess you don't have to get there super early (like an hour) and have good seats in the middle saved. I wonder if they wait less than 30 before opening the seats but are trying to allow for some cushion?
Another one that shows that they ened more things!!!
Absolutely! I'm really curious how early it filled up.
Feels like you had a similar feel at HS as we did one day with Frozen and meeting Goofy :) And we had the same historians as you, they were GREAT.
Yes we did, but you met so many other characters too! I agree, those were great historians.
Fun fact: Empress 1908 gin is actually made in our city, Victoria, BC!!! I was shocked to see it so far away.
Oh how cool! What a small world. Can you tour where they make the gin?
I found my burger at Sci-Fi dry and wish it had more sauce, haha, go figure, it seems inconsistent if nothing else.
So interesting, does not seem like they are consistent. Even our mom's two burgers looked very different and theoretically were made at the same time?
I can't believe Indiana was full, amazing what they have going there since when I went first in 2008 it somehow seemed kind of dated then! I wanted to catch it this time, but we just ran out of time. I do think DD would have thought it was cool.
Me either! It's a show I always think I'm okay to skip but I love it every time we go.

Same thing happened at Indy with us, got there earlier the next time and were way in the back. Fills up!!
How early did you get there? When we went back we thought we were early but the place was almost full already for us too.
Didnt know DP worked so well for the package ticket seating like Fantasmic, sounds like a no-brainer if your on the plan!
Yes! It's definitely a great value if you're on the dining plan.
I’m glad you got a chance to meet Goofy and Max! I’m always excited to see Goofy and Max would be a treat.
Me too! Although we heard conversations around us about who Max's mom might be :rolleyes1 I was glad we got to meet them
But, whew! You made it to your ADR! :scared:
We had a few close calls on this trip 😅
Goodness, that’s so much food! I’m surprised there was confusion about the appetizers and desserts - MDE and the website are very clear that one appetizer or dessert is included with Fantasmic dining packages. It would’ve been nice to share a few appetizers and then the rest desserts so you weren’t so stuffed before your main meals.
I had read that too! I think I told my family we could ask if anyone wanted dessert instead but we'd had so many treats already with more planned, we all preferred the appetizers. Next time I would get a couple of each for our group though.
Sci-Fi is a really cool space but I agree the food ranges from meh to good. It’s too bad you missed out on a milkshake - it was the best part of my meal a few years ago. I wonder if it was considered an alcoholic “dessert” and that’s why it didn’t count as a drink? Who knows.
That might be! But it was on the regular drink menu, still confusing to me now.
I'm relieved you made your Goofy and Max meet along with lunch ADR.
Me too! We had a couple of close calls on this trip.
I think we could make a meal on just apps too, with deserts. Your food did look really good.
Yes, you definitely could! Next time I'm going for nachos and milkshakes.
I have really fond memories of Sci-Fi with my dad. But not of the food. I mean...a burger is a burger in some ways but I always felt like I wanted more from this restaurant. That shake looked good though.
Aww, the nostalgia factor would be a big draw.
What a fun meet with Goofy and Max, and you still made Sci Fi!
Yes! So glad we got to do both.
I feel like the CMs expect the cars to be more popular than the picnic tables, so they express surprise when people are interested in them. At least, when we were late for our ADR we were told we could sit immediately but “only” if we were willing to sit at a picnic table instead of a car. Like no, facing our dining companions was not a hardship!
Oh that's funny. I wonder if they were so surprised when I said yes to the picnic table, and I then disappointed them because I read their surprise to mean I had made the wrong choice! I can be an over-thinker haha.
I’ve heard good things about the milkshakes at Sci Fi! Not sure we’ll go back our next time out, but if so we’ll be sure to prioritize those.
Same!
Very bizarre about Orbiting Oreos not being on the dining plan! It’s like somewhere, an accountant is throwing darts to decide what makes the cut!
That is too funny, that's exactly wat I'm picturing!

Afternoon Break at AoA​

Getting back to our room at the resort was really easy and only took us 25 minutes from park exit to our rooms.

HS.jpg

We left the park at 1:10pm, were on the Skyliner at 1:13pm with no wait, and in our room at 1:35pm. If you’re going to take an afternoon break, a Skyliner resort is the way to go!

Skyliner.jpg

On our way back, we talked about what time we wanted to return to the park. We decided to catch the last show of the day of either Disney Jr. Live or Beauty and the Beast, and we left the choice to the girls. They picked Beauty and the Beast, which I think had a last show time of 5:00pm, so we talked about leaving our rooms just a little after 4:00pm to head back.

This was our fifth trip to WDW with kids and the first time we ever took a mid-day break to go back to our resort. The girls really wanted to swim, but the adults were full and exhausted, and it was 71 degrees and cloudy, so we tried to talk them out of it. As much as I wanted to rest, the girls were so excited about swimming, I agreed I would take them if they let me have a short rest in the room first.

I took about 20 minutes to rest (aka scroll social media in bed) while the girls got their swimsuits on. I had them down to the Little Mermaid pool by 2:00pm. I decided not to swim, and this was the first time I didn’t even put on a bathing suit to go to the pool with them. They’re finally at an age where they can swim independently, so I was just going down to supervise.

The pool was surprisingly empty. Though maybe not so surprising because it was cool outside, but the pool had been so packed two days before.

Pool.jpg

I read a little in the shade while the girls swam. I think I let them swim for almost an hour before telling them it was time to go upstairs with me. Pat was napping while we were gone, and I was still hoping to get in a short nap myself before we went back to the park. Pat had agreed to help with showers so I could try to sleep when we came back. My dad said he went down to the pool a little after 3:00pm to see if we were still there, but we had already left.

Back in the room, I tried to sleep while the girls showered, but that did not go so well. I don’t even remember what it was about, but one girl was upset, and housekeeping kept trying to enter our room. When housekeeping first knocked, one daughter was undressed, getting ready to shower, and the other was crying (all while I was in bed trying to sleep), so we called through the door that someone was showering and asked them to come back later. They were persistent and started to enter our room anyway. That really stressed me out and I hopped up to explain someone was naked, and could they please come back later (all while I was telling the naked daughter to get behind the bathroom curtain for privacy).

IMG_5074.jpg

They left quickly without saying anything and I dead-bolted the door at that point, which lesson learned, we should have already done. I was really surprised they had entered our room after we had shouted that someone was not dressed. However, reading more after the fact, I don’t think our experience was uncommon. We should have had the latch on our door to begin with, to prevent them from entering while we showered.

I got back into bed, determined to get some rest. But they came back in another 5-10 minutes, knocking until Pat finally answered the door. Pat explained that we had someone showering, and could they please come back later. When they came back a third time shortly after that, I got out of bed to talk to them. I explained that our family was showering and napping, and that I understood they needed to enter our room each day, but could they please come back in 30-45 minutes after we were done with showers. I told them we would likely be out of the room at that point, but happy to let them in even if we weren't. They didn’t say much but left us alone after that.

I was super annoyed by the whole thing and frustrated that their multiple interruptions meant I did not get any sleep. I fully understand and support the reason for these safety checks, but there has to be a balance to respect privacy for 30-45 minutes, as it made me extremely uncomfortable that they entered the room while my child was undressed even after we had shouted through the door.

We left our rooms at 4:07pm and I quickly put aside my frustration. There were very short lines at the Skyliner at our resort and the CB transfer station, and we were back at HS 19 minutes later at 4:26pm.

It was so easy to get to and from the park, I would absolutely plan another afternoon rest on an Epcot or HS day if we’re staying at a Skyliner resort. It was worth the short travel times (19-25 minutes) to get the 2.5-hour break at our resort. I would have preferred an actual nap, but it was also a lot of fun for the girls to have another swim day, which was one of their favorite parts of our trip. Getting a nap or rest in for the other adults probably helped with stamina that week too.

We took a rest every day and I think DD swam every day too! So frustrating about the room check or housekeeping. We never had an issue like that they always came back hours later if we were in the room at all!!

I’m glad your girls had such a fun afternoon break - kids always seem the most excited about swimming!

But argh on the room check! With my (hopefully?) napping child I hope they stick by my request to do our room checks in the morning/noon time. We plan to take daily afternoon breaks and I’d hate every nap to be interrupted by a room check. I would’ve been so frustrated with so many interruptions while trying to rest. Thank you for the reminder to throw the dead bolt!

I don’t mind the fact that they check rooms - just don’t wake my sleeping child (or me!).

I keep hearing from people about the interrupting room checks. I guess I have just been lucky that they have never interrupted me. I did hear that you can talk to the front desk and schedule the room checks so maybe next time???

Ive stayed at s bunch of different resorts at WDW, and the only time ive ever noticed or been around when they room checked was at AoA Lion King Suite and then it was twice in 1 week they caught me and we always do things basically the same, stopping back for refreshing/pool afternoons. Must be they didnt clean as often??

I'm looking forward to the ease of a Skyliner resort in July.

Terrible luck with the room check. I've never been in the room when this was done but just because I said that I bet it happens to us.

What a frustrating experience with housekeeping/room checks! That would’ve irritated me, too. It shouldn’t require multiple times to understand “come back later.”

But yeah, I can definitely see how the Skyliner would make afternoon breaks easier! My family and I will definitely have to plan on another Skyliner resort the next time we go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter