Official 2024 Universal Studios HHN 33 Thread

oddly the weekend rate is $10 more than the rate I was paying with stay more save more so Ill need to keep checking back to see if that changes at all, but still a good deal overall.
Watching several time periods for extended family

Noticed the same in comparison for SMSM rates.

(However, just a Quick Look at CB for several nights YMMV)…

even with bit higher weekend rates, if doing at least 3 week days with a weekend date…

The weekday rates drop $30-$40 s night less than SMSM

Or is there a ‘don’t jump out at me please’ marker I can put on him? Thanks!
No, Sea world Orlando has offered in the past for their haunt. An add on purchase of lighted necklace as I recall
I’ve done Hollywood’s before
Love & appreciate all the SA who work their butts off.

Have only done USH twice. Will
Say, they have a ready made supply of acting talent available!

I do give USO the edge for overall production and experience

Was interesting one year to compare the nuances between the two versions

Has ur DH done any professional haunts?

If not, drag him to a local one to see how he fares. It’s always fun to watch the big bugs scream & run from ghouls

Does he enjoy scary movies?

If not, may be a stretch. Once houses announced have a watch party of this year’s movies

Worst case he could likely be deposited at the house exit to wait it out. Doesn’t sound ‘nice’ to me lol. You know your DH. Let him know what he’s signing up for here

Not sure how accommodating currently the public tours. May want to call & inquire

Generally, at least with private tours, guides enter the houses. Have had them bail on specific houses (smells).

Last edited:
Watching several time periods for extended family

Noticed the same in comparison for SMSM rates.

(However, just a Quick Look at CB for several nights YMMV)…

even with bit higher weekend rates, if doing at least 3 week days with a weekend date…

The weekday rates drop $30-$40 s night less than SMSM

No, Sea world Orlando has offered in the past for their haunt. An add on purchase of lighted necklace as I recall

Love & appreciate all the SA who work their butts off.

Have only done USH twice. Will
Say, they have a ready made supply of acting talent available!

I do give USO the edge for overall production and experience

Was interesting one year to compare the nuances between the two versions

Has ur DH done any professional haunts?

If not, drag him to a local one to see how he fares. It’s always fun to watch the big bugs scream & run from ghouls

Does he enjoy scary movies?

If not, may be a stretch. Once houses announced have a watch party of this year’s movies

Worst case he could likely be deposited at the house exit to wait it out. Doesn’t sound ‘nice’ to me lol. You know your DH. Let him know what he’s signing up for here

Not sure how accommodating currently the public tours. May want to call & inquire

Generally, at least with private tours, guides enter the houses. Have had them bail on specific houses (smells).
Honestly, he might be okay being dumped at the end of the house if it’s too much (heck, I might be with him! lol. It’s been a while since I’ve had a good fright).

We are in Australia. There aren’t any professional scares within driving distance. DH doesn’t ‘do’ horror movies but has agreed to watch the properties for the houses. Honestly, I’m hoping that Ghostbusters and FNAF feature because he would be happy to go in for those two properties.

I wouldn’t say DH is a wimp but he grew up here in a time when Halloween wasn’t even a thought over here (we are older).

I loved HHN at Hollywood. One of my cousins is a scare actor and she works so hard to terrify people. The effort she and her coworkers put into their characters is amazing.

Thank you for your observations.

This will be my hubby’s and my first time at Universal Orlando and his first HHN (I’ve done Hollywood’s before). Because we don’t have anything like HHN in our neck of the woods, I am not certain he’s going to enjoy the scares. But he wants to try. I’ll give him that. To make it a bit nicer for him, I’ve booked us on a RIP tour. Does anyone have any experience with opting to stay with the guide rather than go into the houses? Or is there a ‘don’t jump out at me please’ marker I can put on him? Thanks!

So, I can only speak to my experience as a tour guide, which is ten years old at this point. I don't think anything has changed, I'm still friends with several guides, but just wanted to throw that out there.

There is no marker that would ask scareactors not to scare him. If anything, in my experience, if scareactors see that you're on an RIP tour, some of them make a point to single you out more, I'm guessing because they know how much you paid for the experience. If you hubby doesn't want to go into a house, he can def wait outside with the tour guide if they aren't going through- some guides do go through the houses, I always did except for one private tour I had with a cute little 12 year old who was SO excited to be there, was a big fan of HHN online, but was absolutely terrified of everything haha. I waited outside each house with him. If the guide is going through the house, or needs a bathroom/water break during the house, they can let your hubby know where to hang out to meet up with the group after the house.

If scarezones freak him out, I'd try to stick to the middle of the group so the other guests act as a barrier. With my little 12 year old buddy, he was so afraid in the scarezones that he was clutching me with his eyes closed while I aggressively batter scareactors away with my light wand, but I don't think most tour guides would go to that extreme if you aren't a literal child hahaha

So, I can only speak to my experience as a tour guide, which is ten years old at this point. I don't think anything has changed, I'm still friends with several guides, but just wanted to throw that out there.

There is no marker that would ask scareactors not to scare him. If anything, in my experience, if scareactors see that you're on an RIP tour, some of them make a point to single you out more, I'm guessing because they know how much you paid for the experience. If you hubby doesn't want to go into a house, he can def wait outside with the tour guide if they aren't going through- some guides do go through the houses, I always did except for one private tour I had with a cute little 12 year old who was SO excited to be there, was a big fan of HHN online, but was absolutely terrified of everything haha. I waited outside each house with him. If the guide is going through the house, or needs a bathroom/water break during the house, they can let your hubby know where to hang out to meet up with the group after the house.

If scarezones freak him out, I'd try to stick to the middle of the group so the other guests act as a barrier. With my little 12 year old buddy, he was so afraid in the scarezones that he was clutching me with his eyes closed while I aggressively batter scareactors away with my light wand, but I don't think most tour guides would go to that extreme if you aren't a literal child hahaha
Lol. Thanks for this. I feel better knowing that I can leave him outside and still go in myself.

I just signed up for my first ever private rip tour this year, I'm hoping I can pull it off (still trying to gather the right amount of people). So if we want (and if the guide is ok with it), we can ask them to come into the house with us? I just want the guide to enjoy the time with us as well, so I'd love to invite them to go with us

I just want the guide to enjoy the time with us as well, so I'd love to invite them to go with us
They depend on tips and the good ones know their business well enough to cater to you.

Pick their brains for insights on the house design etc. they are usually happy to point out some easter eggs you normally only are made aware on via the lights on, day tours.

You “own” the private tour. If the guide is savvy, will modify the itinerary to your wants to make you happy. Whatever that entails, within bounds.

I’ve heard of some tours that are, by design, basically drinking around HHN with a few houses lol.

Others want to see as many houses, as many times as possible (involves heavy criss crossing of park). If that’s your thing, might want to ask to see each house with the “A” & “B” casts. This is not always possible. Takes some real planning on the guide’s part to pull that off.

If you want to commando, it’s not unrealistic that you could be able to do each house at least twice and the show (2nd one likely) and still have time for a cocktail stop at the private lounges

The guide does get a lunch break that needs to be scheduled during the tour.

I just signed up for my first ever private rip tour this year, I'm hoping I can pull it off (still trying to gather the right amount of people). So if we want (and if the guide is ok with it), we can ask them to come into the house with us? I just want the guide to enjoy the time with us as well, so I'd love to invite them to go with us

Well, you have to remember it really does come down to personal preference, and it's a job that they are doing every night of the season, and in some cases, have been doing it for many years or even decades in the case of a few of the older school guides. Some guides love going through the houses, and will go through without invitiation- it's honestly easier on a logistical standpoint in my opinion, because you don't have to worry about finding them again after the house. Some guides prefer not to go through- maybe it's too loud and they don't want to bother with hearing protection, or they want a few minutes sans guests to get some water, check their phone, etc. For some, they do the job because they genuinely love it. For others, they do the job because...well, because it's their job. I would assume they'll be going in houses or not going in houses based on their personal preference whether or not you invite them to go with you.

To be clear, any guide you get who is worth their salt will give you an amazing experience whether or not they personally enjoy the event. But enjoyment of the evening for someone working does not necessarily mean going through every house with your guests, it really just depends on who you are paired with.

Edit: Just to add, I'd say what actually dictates whether the guide has a good night or not comes down to whether the guests are nice and fun or aloof jerks (you seem like you will fall into the nice and fun category haha), whether or not the guests will listen to the guide when they made logistical suggestions (So not insisting on zigzagging all over the park, and instead being ok with them helping to structure the route, which will ultimately let you experience more because they know how to cram a night full if that's what you want), and how well they get tipped at the end of the night.

Last edited:
Well, you have to remember it really does come down to personal preference, and it's a job that they are doing every night of the season, and in some cases, have been doing it for many years or even decades in the case of a few of the older school guides. Some guides love going through the houses, and will go through without invitiation- it's honestly easier on a logistical standpoint in my opinion, because you don't have to worry about finding them again after the house. Some guides prefer not to go through- maybe it's too loud and they don't want to bother with hearing protection, or they want a few minutes sans guests to get some water, check their phone, etc. For some, they do the job because they genuinely love it. For others, they do the job because...well, because it's their job. I would assume they'll be going in houses or not going in houses based on their personal preference whether or not you invite them to go with you.

To be clear, any guide you get who is worth their salt will give you an amazing experience whether or not they personally enjoy the event. But enjoyment of the evening for someone working does not necessarily mean going through every house with your guests, it really just depends on who you are paired with.

Edit: Just to add, I'd say what actually dictates whether the guide has a good night or not comes down to whether the guests are nice and fun or aloof jerks (you seem like you will fall into the nice and fun category haha), whether or not the guests will listen to the guide when they made logistical suggestions (So not insisting on zigzagging all over the park, and instead being ok with them helping to structure the route, which will ultimately let you experience more because they know how to cram a night full if that's what you want), and how well they get tipped at the end of the night.
oh for sure. I def wanted to just invite the guide to go into the house if they were allowed, but def respect if they didn't want to go for any number of other reasons. I def plan to take any advice they give, I don't want to be zigzagging all over either lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter