Japan Trip Report-May 2024

I’m gonna try typing out some of our days and might come back later to add things. Right now we’re still in survival mode with sleep and keeping ds from melting down but I want to type things up before I forget things. I’m planning to link each post with the first post by day so it’s easier to find

Arrival Day
We flew from SFO to Haneda and flew with JAL in business class. Our flights were booked through AA with points. The boarding process went smoothly and was quick. When we got on the plane we realized they gave us a different plane so the seats we booked were in different places. Instead of us being in a row it placed dh up in front of us. If it had been just dh and I it wouldn’t have been a big deal but having a 4 yo made the change difficult. Luckily they were able to get us in 3 seats right next to each other but we did have to give up our window seat.

For the majority of the flight ds did pretty well. He slept about 3 1/2-4 hours after we gave him melatonin and I was able to sleep about 2 1/2 hours. I ordered the western meal and dh got the Japanese meal. He said he regretted it because everything was pickled. He did the same thing last time we flew to Japan with ANA 🤦🏻‍♀️😆 For my main meal it was a beef option with potato gratin on the side. The beef was pretty dry and not great but the potatoes were delicious. Later I ordered the pork and rice bowl which was really good. They brought ds child meals (we had to call before the flight to get this ordered). The meals were very cute and had lots of options but he was so sleep deprived and out of sorts that he really didn’t eat much of anything the entire flight.

The flight attendants were fantastic and even let ds pick a toy out at the end. He chose a JAL plane which is a fun souvenir. The end of the flight was a disaster. Ds had ear troubles which he’s never had before on a plane. He kept unbuckling his seatbelt and trying to stand up during the descent. The seating in business class is difficult with a preschooler. Dh had to reach around the middle divider and physically hold ds’s seatbelt on and he was screaming the entire time that he wanted his seatbelt off and wanted off the plane. I felt really bad for everyone around us. He’s never done this on a plane before. I think he was so overtired and didn’t understand how to handle the ear pain. When we landed I was so focused on getting him off that I left my carry on bag on the plane. Luckily they were amazing and met us at baggage claim with it. It had all of our essentials so we would’ve struggled without it.

Instead of pulling up to a gate, they connected us to a staircase and drove us to the airport on a bus. I’ve never had that happen before so it was a little different. Everything after that went really smoothly. We got our bag quickly, went through the priority line with our QR code and didn’t have to wait behind anyone, customs was fast, got our Welcome PASMO cards, money out of the ATM, and booked airport limousine tickets to Shinjuku Station. All of that was done in under an hour.

Overall, it wasn’t a horrible travel day but it was LONG with a preschooler. We took ds to Germany last August but this was so much harder. I think the huge time change from the east coast of the US and the longer flight made him so overtired.

Attachments

• IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2714.jpeg
    IMG_2714.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2726.jpeg
    IMG_2726.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yoyogi Park and Meiji Jingu
Ds woke up around 2:30 am and we couldn’t get him back to sleep so we ate some food, laid in bed until about 4 am, and then got ready for the day. It was pretty chilly out but it felt so good coming from 97 degrees back home. We all had shorts and a jacket on. We walked to a small playground nearby and ds played a bit before we walked over to Yoyogi Park.

Lots of people were out running since it was early in the morning. Ds wanted to run through the park and people kept saying Ohayo and good morning to him which was fun. We bought him his own little digital camera and he loved taking pictures of the garden in the park. He could’ve sat there all day taking pictures of flowers but we had to stop him so he didn’t fill the whole camera up with pictures of the same thing lol. We had planned to rent bikes and do the pony park but ds was so tired we skipped them both. We went through most of the park to get to Meiji Jingu.

We aren’t big shrine people so we didn’t spend much time there but I wanted ds to see something like that at least once. He really liked doing the purification before entering and we talked about what people were doing up by the shrine. We ended up carrying him most of the time because it was a lot of walking and he decided this trip he doesn’t want to sit in the stroller anymore.

After the shrine we went to a grocery store nearby to get things for meals and snacks. Our plan for the trip is to mostly eat out for lunches and make dinner at the hotel. I brought reusable grocery bags and those worked well.

We took a pretty long nap from about 10:30-2:30 and it was really hard to get ourselves up because it felt like night to us. The rest of the day we mostly hung out at our hotel and took ds to a playground. We found a really big one that he’s been loving. There aren’t a lot of really nice playgrounds near us but there’s a huge one in Shinjuku that’s nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 25
Sorry I haven’t posted much. Ds has been waking at 2 am every morning so our plans have really been thrown out the window. Nothing opens until 10 am and by then he’s ready for a nap so we’ve been having to think of things on the fly and been ready out the door by 5:30 am 😆
Hope he adjusts. I don’t know what we did, but when our son was 3, we went to London and France. He didn't sleep on the plane at all and ended up sleeping on the double decker tour bus while we waited for our room to be available. He ended up doing really well on sleep though. He just adjusted. I guess we got paid back though, because he wouldn't eat hardly anything, even stuff he normally ate at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter